MD LOSES MVP

eskimow

MD LOSES MVP

Postby eskimow » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:17 pm

The decline of MD is certain. Their strength coach, culture leader and architect of their system has left the position he held and is no longer affiliated with the school.

watcher1111

Re: MD LOSES MVP

Postby watcher1111 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:04 pm

Is he going to Servite?

insidetrinity

Postby insidetrinity » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:35 pm

also i saw someone on twitter say that elias ricks had left but not sure if it was true...

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:19 pm

Scot Prohaska?

eskimow

Postby eskimow » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:11 am

Yes, Scott Prohaska has left. Not sure I will keep my son there now. He was the one that built the culture and taught character as well as physically developing them better than any team in the country.

I heard ( from a supposed friend of his) he is working with multiple olympians again and is not happy with how the program is ignoring his teachings.

KuppRunneth

Postby KuppRunneth » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:12 am

yep, sounds like Ricks is transferring out. I think its IMG. Gets him closer to LSU as well.

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:14 am

Did a nice job cleaning up the dietary area when he initially started. I like all those sleds. Did he work with other teams on campus? Influenced by Charles Poliquin?

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:00 pm

If true, and with the schedule that Rollo devised for the upcoming season, it does not
look promising, give the upper hand to Bosco now in the showdown for number#1,
barring transfers coming and going, of course ...

Probably making much more money if involved in the Olympic/Olympians program.

Al Koholik

Postby Al Koholik » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:06 am

eskimow wrote:Yes, Scott Prohaska has left. Not sure I will keep my son there now. He was the one that built the culture and taught character as well as physically developing them better than any team in the country.

I heard ( from a supposed friend of his) he is working with multiple olympians again and is not happy with how the program is ignoring his teachings.

Prohaska is certainly a leader in his field and has had a profound impact on the physical preparation of MD athletes. And, by virtue of the time spent with the team, I’m sure he has had a personal impact on players individually and collectively. However, I would argue that the “culture” of MD football, the 3 Stripes representing Pride, Poise and Courage, has been in place for generations, nurtured and cultivated for the last 30 years by one man and one man only, Rollo. In fact many in the MD community would argue that the current incarnation of the 3 stripe culture is no longer firmly rooted in exactly that, the MD community (geographically and otherwise).
As to the character building referenced; I’m always going to argue that such should be done primarily in the home, but I also feel strongly about the value of the game of football, and all sports, with regard to character development. But half sarcastically and completely seriously... I am compelled to offer that character is not built in a semester or two. Most importantly, the MD football character builder in-chief, or rather character extractor, as it were, is and always has been Rollo... PERIOD.
Long story short, no MD asst coach, coming or going, is going to change the landscape or success quotient of MD football. And no player is going to base his decision or whether to go or stay on who the strength coach is.
Success at MD, is predicated on one thing, players. Recruiting. To remain relevant in the current landscape success is dependent on transient athletes whose reasons for coming to MD call their own (and their parents) character into question.
As good as Prohaska is, he is only as good as the athletes he trains. Does he make teams better? Of course. Does he change the DNA of athletes. No.
Bob Baffert would still be running nags at Los Al if it weren’t for the exceptional DNA of the horses he’s been blessed to train.
MD will be just fine and move seemlessly to their next S/C coach. Guaranteed.

eskimow

Postby eskimow » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:46 am

1. You are underestimating what Prohaska does.
2. Check the records and championships of MD and Servite before and after Prohaska - MD 4-6 before prohaska, CIF Final the next year he got there, Servite 7-4 before prohaska, CIF Final the next year he got there , the guy has been a part of 7 finals in 10 years with 2 different teams. Rollo and Thomas not even close to that success without him
3. Ask the former players and parents of both schools who had the biggest impact and physical and culutural development
4. I will be surprised if MD makes CIF this year without him

Al Koholik

Postby Al Koholik » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:44 pm

I underestimate nothing.
However, it would appear that your igloo is constructed from frozen blocks of Prohaska Kool-Aid.
Great strength coaches abound.
Great talent does not.
Let’s compare the before and after rosters of years you choose to compare.

OutOfState

Postby OutOfState » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:57 pm

I agree with Al.
Granted Prohaska is a great strength coach. But he is coaching great players. If Prohaska decides to go to Marina next year will they be a powerhouse? Coaching only does so much and then it comes down to DNA and God-given talent that is inherent, not taught or coached. No doubt that MD has great coaching with guys like Money and EJ that have been at their helms forever. But when you combine those coaches with the talent that comprises the MD roster you get the results you have seen the last few years. The Jims and Joes are far more important than the Xs and Os.
Last edited by OutOfState on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:48 pm

I was at a seminar in 2008 where Charlie Francis was talking about speed development. Sitting next to me was Dan John who is a respected strength coach in Utah. He said being a strength coach in team sports is fuzzy. You can work under a crappy head coach, a crappy oc, a crappy dc, etc. You could do a great job in the weight room and have a healthy team but be 2-8. An outsider will go you didn't do a very good job with a record like that. The results of your work may not be clear or fuzzy to some. Mater Dei has a great HC, an excellent DC in Coach J and a great OC so there are nothing but blue skys there. It is a combo of all the above that produces success. Yes it doesnt hurt having great genetics to work with. MD will be there in the end.

Al Koholik

Postby Al Koholik » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:08 am

OutOfState wrote:I agree with Al.
Granted Prohaska is a great strength coach. But he is coaching great players. If Prohaska decides to go to Marina next year will they be a powerhouse? Coaching only does so much and then it comes down to DNA and God-given talent that is inherent, not taught or coached. No doubt that MD has great coaching with guys like Money and EJ that have been at their helms forever. But when you combine those coaches with the talent that comprises the MD roster you get the results you have seen the last few years. The Jims and Joes are far more important than the Xs and Os.

Well said sir.

KuppRunneth

Postby KuppRunneth » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:19 am

eskimow wrote:Source of the post 4. I will be surprised if MD makes CIF this year without him

you've lost your mind with this statement.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:40 am

You can't teach speed, and you can't teach size. What set his teams apart was their conditioning, unquestionably.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:15 am

I'm sure MD will be fine, looks like a little turn in the road for now but with next season's schedule
they could use all the help they can get,even with the players they currently have; it will be very tough
to get a 3peat national championship - It's a bruising schedule to say the least, in anyone's book!

eskimow

Postby eskimow » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:04 pm

You cant teach Speed? That is just pure stupid. I Guess Jt Daniels didnt get faster his junior year.

Go ahead, Compare the talent from servite 2007,2008 before prohaska in 2009, and MD 2010, 2011 before prohaska got there in 2012. No difference in talent those years, maybe even more before.

I just have seen the impact he has on young players mindset. He ties everything together better than anyone and think that will be missed.

eskimow

Postby eskimow » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:08 pm

last question and then will move on. Why could Servite never beat MD ? Servite had just as much talent (Dan Klein, Dj Shoemate, Gallippo, Kahlil etc...) Then, when prohaska came, he pulled something together and they beat MD 3 straight years. He does something different with the culture that Rollo and Thomas cant quite do without him.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Actually, I remember one year that Servite was the odds on favorite to beat MD (they had superior overall talent than MD that year) - one of their player's
even said publicly, "it was only a matter of how much we will beat them" - I believe that was the
year MD had one of their below average talented team's and MD still beat Servite that year.

Just saying, in the grand scheme of things before Prohaska was even heard of...

Return to “High School”