MD LOSES MVP

hocyouthguy

Re: MD LOSES MVP

Postby hocyouthguy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:09 pm

Will Prohaska be missed? Of course. Every cog in the machine that made MD the nation's best the past two seasons was important. I just think you overemphasize his particular importance. THE game changer was Negro's arrival and how he shaped the transfer game. Servite could hire Prohaska tomorrow, and MD and SJB (and increasingly JSerra) would still stomp them by 4-5 TDs. Now, could Prohaska's departure help tip the scales toward SJB this year? With two teams as evenly matched as MD and SJB have been the last two seasons (and the one upcoming), that's quite possible. It's nothing like the end of the world you've been forecasting for MD, though.

Greenwave

Postby Greenwave » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Just so everyone understands, Prohaska was not a coach per say, he devised the strength and training program.

He was not at practices, never watched film or even knew what the game plan was offensively or defensively. He showed up game night to warm up the team then deal with mental and physical issues players had during the game. on Saturday mornings he would run the flush program and again help deal with injuries from the night before. The real magic that Prohaska preformed was his ability to get kids healed up and ready to play again the next week.

Prohaska's work with the entire team was limited but he did work one on one off season and off campus with probably the top 10 players on the team but that wasn't free.

The truth in the matter is that Prohaska's effect on the kids was becoming less and less. This was not do to his ability but more how the kids these days respect and deal with authority. The Achilles heel is having so many "all-stars" that are being told how great they are not only from the recruiting universities but their parents and themselves that they start to think they are as great as the Olympians and top professionals athletes Prohaska is paid huge money to train. Prohaska has accomplished what he needed to prove at the high school level and doesn't need to deal with the new generation of kids more intent on getting out their tweets and snapchats then actually focusing on getting better since a lot of these kids will have some rude awakenings in the near future.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Prohaska got married in the last couple of years, I believe, I'm sure his financial future comes
into play now,(wife/kids?, etc), I'm sure he wants to be in the best financial position possible
from now on - just saying...

I'm thinking that is why Chris Segesman (MD's past superb Water Polo HC, one of the best in the nation)
left for a better financial opportunity for his family.

Dave

Postby Dave » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:09 pm

A little off the topic, but congratulations to Aaron Ausmus on his return to USC as head strength coach. Fight on!

Daforno

Postby Daforno » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:32 am

Will the SC strength coach be working closely with Woman’s Crew?

I understand they have an opening and might need the remaining members to “man” up

kingspeed

Postby kingspeed » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:17 am

MD has a full-time strength and conditioning coach that has D1 college experience. They also have an assistant that aids in implementing the program as well. Prohaska was very good but was not as directly involved as some has asserted. The person who oversees the weight program at MD is as good as any in preparing the back end of strength and conditioning protocol for most teams at MD and likely will be more involved in football but if you were on campus in the weight room you would see him and the assistant are the ones running the show in the weight room for football for the last 2 seasons. The only time I see Prohaska was at games though I am sure he was designing protocols to follow.

What I noticed in some ways was a feeder for some athletes who could afford his private training.
"Get In The Mix"

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 pm

--- And there you have it, from someone that REALLY knows what is going on...

Al Koholik

Postby Al Koholik » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:05 pm

kingspeed wrote:MD has a full-time strength and conditioning coach that has D1 college experience. They also have an assistant that aids in implementing the program as well. Prohaska was very good but was not as directly involved as some has asserted. The person who oversees the weight program at MD is as good as any in preparing the back end of strength and conditioning protocol for most teams at MD and likely will be more involved in football but if you were on campus in the weight room you would see him and the assistant are the ones running the show in the weight room for football for the last 2 seasons. The only time I see Prohaska was at games though I am sure he was designing protocols to follow.

What I noticed in some ways was a feeder for some athletes who could afford his private training.

DING! DING! DING! You sir, NAILED it. Not unlike the late, great Kevin McNair. He was the speed and conditioning guru for MD for many, many years. Was paid, more than many assistants, to show up once in a while to run the kids and to call in the daily workouts to Rollo. AND, he made a killing charging MD parents exorbitant fees to work their kids for 30 minutes a session and never use a stopwatch. Not bagging on the deceased. I liked Kevin a lot. Learned a lot from him. Much respect and more power to him. But it was what it was, and it is what it is.
Perhaps the Inuit is a Prohaska customer?
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:18 pm

eskimow wrote:You cant teach Speed? That is just pure stupid.

I guess. That doesn't make it any less true. Anyway, the point is that it doesn't take a miraculous strength trainer to help the most talented team in the country win football games. Those rosters were filled with great players, and they were great before they got there.

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:44 pm

cruiser wrote:Actually, I remember one year that Servite was the odds on favorite to beat MD (they had superior overall talent than MD that year) - one of their player's
even said publicly, "it was only a matter of how much we will beat them" - I believe that was the
year MD had one of their below average talented team's and MD still beat Servite that year.

Just saying, in the grand scheme of things before Prohaska was even heard of...

that was Ryan Kalil's senior year at Servite, the 2002 season, that was Jason Forcier's sophomore as the starting QB at MD, MD got killed by Los Al in the CIF Finals that year at Angel Stadium, Randy Estes was on that Los Al team at the time, one of the best defensive players to ever come out of CA, but sadly his football career crashed due to a weed bust, and that would cause a decade-long CIF section final appearance drought for MD, they wouldn't make it again until the 2012 season, which was the following season after Rollo "blew up" the program, because MD missed the playoffs in the 2011 season, which was MD's first time missing the playoffs since 1986, I think that is an O.C. County record, for the longest streak of playoff appearences.

Speaking of Servite's best chances to end the 20 year MD streak, one game i will never forget, that will forever remain in my memory, was the 2006 Servite team, that team definetley underachieved because Shoemate was injured for the whole season except for the first game, due to a broken foot, which was his junior year, meanwhile he previously had an all-county, all-CIF sophomore season the previous season.

I remember Servite's kicker at the time, Kevin Goessling, missed 2 field goals, one of them bounced off the upright, that would have ended the streak, and they came that close even without Shoemate. But ya, the 2006 Servite team was loaded, i'm sure for many Servite fans, the 2006 team will forever be thought of as "what if", if Shoemate was healthy that season, Servite probably would have had an undefeated season that year, overall, would have achieved more, even though Servite did eventually end the streak in the 2009 season, by winning a CIF and State title, and another CIF section title in 2010 but losing the state title game that season to DLS, which is seen as the downfall of Servite.

aberamsey

Postby aberamsey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:24 am

Great debate on Prohaska, but the reality is you're not going to know the impact of his exit for a few years, if any. If Ricks is truly leaving his impact will be felt much more this coming season. The presence of Ricks and Warren is what makes the Mater Dei defense work. Their dominance and ability to completely eliminate top receivers allows the Monarchs to load the box. They have talent in the system, but five-star corners are few and far between, especially one that is a threat to take literally every pass thrown his way to the house. It will be fascinating to see a MD team minus McCoy, Harper, Ricks take on that tough schedule. How quickly can the young guys step up?

Al Koholik

Postby Al Koholik » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 am

Speed cannot be “taught”. Just as you can’t “teach” genius.
As to achieving maximal potential sprinting speed, it’s not an “you can do anything you put your mind to” proposition. The reality is that EVERYONE is born with a maximum natural potential for just about everything. Call it what you will, DNA, blessings, talent, aptitude, acumen... however you want to term it. It’s what separates us and determines that, “no Johnny, you really can’t be anything you want to be, God had a say in that”.
It’s reality. Not everyone an be an astronaut, not everyone can be a famous singer and not everyone can “learn” to be fast.
A great coach/teacher, along with work ethic, can take someone to new levels not thought possible, but they’ll never take one beyond their maximum natural potential. One only need take a gander at the NFL combine times and notice the wide disparity even among same position. Why do two WR’s or RB’s with identical dimensions run 2 tenths apart? Has one not been “taught” properly? Not a chance in this day and age of advance training.
The highly trained 4.6 guy is a 4.6 guy. He may pop a high 4.5 but he’s never going to see the 4.4’s. Not legitimately.
Long story short, “speed can’t be taught” is far from stupid. What can be “taught” are techniques and drills and strength training that will maximize ones potential.

BoscoBrave

Postby BoscoBrave » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:08 am

=D>

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:22 pm

There was an interesting study on world-class sprinters conducted several years ago. The conclusion of the study was basically that sprinting is an exception to the 10,000 hour rule. None of the sprinters in the study (including the likes of Walter Dix, Maurice Greene, Tyson Gay, etc...) improved on their top time run at age 19 by more than 6% at any point in their careers.

So with all those extra years of training with the top coaches in the world, at the top facilities money can buy, and with the help of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, no sprinter could even shed 6% off their fastest time as a teenager. Make of that what you will.

RPW

Postby RPW » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:21 am

I have gotten more than 6% slower since age 19.
I am The Voice of Reason

templar83

Postby templar83 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:38 am

RPW wrote:Source of the post I have gotten more than 6% slower since age 19.

A decline in mental acuity as one ages is to be expected.

Al Koholik

Postby Al Koholik » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:01 am

joefutbol wrote:There was an interesting study on world-class sprinters conducted several years ago. The conclusion of the study was basically that sprinting is an exception to the 10,000 hour rule. None of the sprinters in the study (including the likes of Walter Dix, Maurice Greene, Tyson Gay, etc...) improved on their top time run at age 19 by more than 6% at any point in their careers.

So with all those extra years of training with the top coaches in the world, at the top facilities money can buy, and with the help of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, no sprinter could even shed 6% off their fastest time as a teenager. Make of that what you will.

Read it last night. Fascinating. Only intended a cursory perusal and got hooked. One of the parts that stood out was that, and in my simpleton terms, by virtue of the nature of kid play (running around), those blessed with speed will almost always stand out among their peers at an early age. That is not the case for so many other talents at which they may prove exceptional in the future and/or via the DPM, Deliberate Practice Model (10K Hour Rule). Hard to tell if a 7 year old will be a guitar virtuoso before he ever picks up the instrument. Not hard to tell who the fastest kid on the playground is.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

RPW

Postby RPW » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:52 am

templar83 wrote:Source of the post A decline in mental acuity as one ages is to be expected.

Excellent response. =D>
I am The Voice of Reason

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:03 pm

It's all very interesting, I always contend in lower age sport or athletics time put in pays big dividends, even over raw or innate talent. Of course maturation rate of young athletes is another factor.

I think coaches like Prohaska can definitely assist in bringing out the best potential physically with these young men in high school sport. What you do with a mature or a man whom has reached a ceiling is another question. When talking speed there definitely seems to be a ceiling within in one of us.

Like Al Ko stated, "Not hard to tell who is the fastest kid on the playground is". I ran track and cross country in middle and high school. In middle school I was not really aware how fast I was, it took encouraging from my PE coaches and some fellow classmates. I was a very good Little Leaguer but outside that a skateboarding surfer kid. Speed just wasn't part of much of my game.

It was my dad one day whom bought me a pair of spikes and he worked with me a bit before track tryouts and in a surprise to me really at 100 yards I blew the doors off very kid except one. That kid was Jim Doehring whom went on to put the shot for the US Olympic team in '88 and '92 where he won the Silver Medal. As a middle schooler he was a huge muscle bound kid with thighs larger than my waist. We went head to head for two seasons he edging me in wins barely, many a time we tied. But what was so frustrating for us both is at the end of every race we would clock 1-2/10ths short of the school record which was 10.9, We both had multiple wins at 11.0 yet that sub 11 never materialized for either of us.

In high school Jim went on to field sports as his body became too big to be agile anymore and I went on to run 100, 220, 330 H, 440 and both relays. With my other season sport of cross-country I built great endurance and come track season I put the two together and the 440 became my speciality. In way looking back it was like taking a distance that had a more likely ceiling, the 100 and stretching out to a distance that more training, effort, practice, technique, strategy could make you better than the next guy.

I think when you watch these "speed" sprinters today, its who is feeling their best that particular day. They are within a hair in times and being the healthiest guy that day is a big factor on whom has the highest ceiling and best shot at winning.

If you want to read up on an interesting story regarding this subject look up Russian sprinter Valeriy Borzov technique

Return to “High School”