Smchs basketball coach Jeff reinert resigns

insidetrinity

Smchs basketball coach Jeff reinert resigns

Postby insidetrinity » Thu May 16, 2019 1:45 pm

He announced he’s resigning today. Wants to return to college game.

cruiser

Re: Smchs basketball coach Jeff reinert resigns

Postby cruiser » Thu May 16, 2019 2:10 pm

It's interesting that both girls and boys head coaches resigned within a few weeks of each other,
hmm, if you check out the socalhoops board,it seems SM is cleaning house in their basketball
programs. They already hired a new girls HC, who is the wife of ex- MD player, David Wear whose
brother is Travis Wear for those - who have not been around for long.

Apparently for Reinart, it did not look good when two SM players transferred into MD last season,
one a starter and the other a part time starter and top reserve for MD and the cupboard looks
really bare for the program next season.

The girls team lost their best player who is/or already did - transfer out

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Thu May 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Agreed that having a team with three high-major D1 seniors playing against the youngest, greenest Mater Dei team in recent memory-and getting spanked at home by 30 with 2 key MD players living within 1/2 mile of SM-isn't the best look.

D1 title notwithstanding-it doesn't go down well at SM when you lose badly to MD at home with a talented team-and lose to JSerra any time.

BTW-their best girls player will be on her third school in three years (she started at JSerra). Tended to put up big numbers against lesser opponents, but disappeared against top teams. The SM girls job qill not be easy-tough location, limited talent pool as a result. New coach has stellar playing resume-but is still a rookie coach in a league that isn't the greatest place to learn your craft on the job.

The JSerra job is a much better situation for GBB-better location, bigger area to draw players from, and maybe a friendlier admissions/financial aid office?

longtimeobserver

Postby longtimeobserver » Fri May 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Reinert never beat MD....the transfer of the two SM players was I feel the nail in the coffin. Great kids and
outstanding supportive families. McKnight and his staff prepared his kids better and the loss this year to MD
was not taken lightly by the SM administration. And Davidson has two younger brothers who are supposedly better
than him----and he is very good especially for a sophomore.

insidetrinity

Postby insidetrinity » Fri May 17, 2019 9:16 pm

I don’t think he was forced out. I think he’ll be named a head coach at a top junior college this coming week

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri May 17, 2019 10:06 pm

The JC gig is a great deal if you can get it, hopefully it comes with a teaching position, (I would
think so if he resign already) - once you get tenure, it takes an act of congress to be fired, if
you are replaced as the HC, you are just transferred to a different position somewhere in the community
college district at your same current pay and benefits...

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Same happened with Fisher in FB-getting spanked by JSerra doesn't go over well at SM.

dont be that guy

Postby dont be that guy » Sat May 18, 2019 11:23 am

These are all interesting theories. The guy left after winning the Division 1 Championship after losing 2 of his better players to a league rival.

Clearly he can coach but the fact that MD was down talent-wise and went after his players was likely the last straw.

As corrupt as college basketball is, MD Basketball might rival it.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:27 pm

Went after his players? Really?

longtimeobserver

Postby longtimeobserver » Sat May 18, 2019 10:36 pm

Reinert NEVER beat McKnight and MD---and MD beat them with no Seniors playing and with all lower class men--
against his THREE DIV I scholarship SENIORS ----THAT w as the LAST STRAW. His sophomore player that
transferred was so eager to leave him and SM that he sat out half the season and didn't play until January.

TahoeCoachRCS

Postby TahoeCoachRCS » Sun May 19, 2019 10:37 am

Who are the top candidates for this job?

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun May 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Poster on another board states Reinert accepted a state of Idaho JC job - I would assume as
a head coach?. (I think in Idaho most of the JC's are run like a four year college, with dorms, etc.?)
Anyone in the know about Idaho JC athletic programs?

insidetrinity

Postby insidetrinity » Sun May 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Yeah he got the job at college of southern Idaho (JC). According to their Wikipedia page they claim to be the winningest junior college basketball program in the country. I know he also interviewed and was offered a job at a D2 four year college as well

Luca

Postby Luca » Sun May 19, 2019 2:26 pm

longtimeobserver wrote:Reinert NEVER beat McKnight and MD.................

I don't think any Orange County high school program considers that a criterion for success, LTO. There's - what? - only 1 or 2 coaches in the Trinity League that have beaten MD in the last decade or more. Nobody considers MD a high school basketball team in the first place, so nobody is expected to compete with them.

The criterion programs use is how their teams compete against actual high school teams.......................Luca

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Sun May 19, 2019 3:59 pm

this years team should have. 3 Pac12 recruits; playing at home,greenest MD team in years-yet beat by 30. With two key players who left SM for MD who lived within walking distance of SM to boot.

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Sun May 19, 2019 4:03 pm

College of Southern Idaho is a pretty good JC job-founding coach was Eddie Sutton (Oklahoma State and Kentucky). great history in JC basketball.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun May 19, 2019 5:04 pm

It looks like that is where Reinert is going, the current HC is leaving to be an associate head coach
at Idaho State for next season per their website BB news.

What's interesting is that the college plays no football, so Basketball - is probably the premier
sport there.

But,hey; they have competitive men's/women's Rodeo teams

dont be that guy

Postby dont be that guy » Mon May 20, 2019 9:04 am

daddyooo wrote:this years team should have. 3 Pac12 recruits; playing at home,greenest MD team in years-yet beat by 30. With two key players who left SM for MD who lived within walking distance of SM to boot.

Yeah, nothing weird about that. Two kids within walking distance, on a stacked team, decided to drive to Santa Ana every day. All of a sudden. It had nothing to do with MD being "green" and looking for players.

It worked out well for both teams, MD remained competitive in the Open division and SM won the Div. 1 Championship. I'm sure that drive is real fun from SM to MD with no rings on their fingers.
Last edited by dont be that guy on Mon May 20, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:59 pm

I still kinda find it shocking that Santa Margarita, is the only Trinity League Basketball team to have a max-contract deal NBA player, Klay Thompson, that something MD has never done, it does make you raise your eyebrows, shocks you, especially when MD is the most decorated Boys Basketball program in CA state history.

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Mon May 20, 2019 5:54 pm

What is the longest length of time a MD player has played in the league? I don't even think they have had a career (10yr+) player.

Return to “High School”