Trump's support among Republicans actually went up this week

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Trump's support among Republicans actually went up this week

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:01 am

According to this week's Reuters/Ipsos poll, Donald's support with Republicans went up to 72% (+5%) after Sunday's tweets. Support by independents was down 10% and support among Democrats dropped 2%. Eric Trump claimed his support among Republicans was 95%, but, you know, Eric.

Ordinarily, I'd say Democrats are going to be Democrats and Republicans are going to be Republicans and look mainly at the Independent numbers. But the tweets were so wrong that I'm led to ask "What in the hell is wrong with Republicans?" But then I remember that the GOP is down to only 26% of registered voters, these days, as centrists have left the party. So, I'm thinking that a far more interesting survey would be one that breaks people down by what party they were a member of 5 or 10 years ago. Moderates have left both parties but I can't think of anything that has driven moderate Dems away like Trumpism has with Republicans.

Then again, maybe more extremists have been joining the GOP. In an ideal world, Independent-only numbers should be about halfway between the two, but they never are. They always skew toward the Democratic numbers - or maybe a better way of putting it is that they skew away from the Republican numbers, because the Republican numbers are usually the complete opposite of the Independent numbers - even on things that are accepted as facts. I don't have any numbers handy, but I know that on the question "Did Russia try to meddle in our election," the Republican responses always skew heavily toward "No."

Long-winded way of saying that on opinions, at least, reading the partisan numbers will only make you crazy. "Americans in general" seems to be more meaningful than even the Independent numbers, these days. But, using the "Five years ago" metric would be a lot more interesting. Almost as interesting as a nationwide survey that shows opinions by congressional district, although that would be impossible. But it sure would be helpful in trying to understand some of the opinions.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

RPW

Re: Trump's support among Republicans actually went up this week

Postby RPW » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:56 am

He made it normal to speak your mind without worry of offending others.
I am The Voice of Reason

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:52 pm

I take solace in knowing the basic demographic of non-college educated white males over 60 are his core base. And they are dying off with little replacements.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:29 pm

Guess again. His numbers are up.

Red

Postby Red » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:24 pm

His numbers are up because Americans with common sense sees and hears the undeserved vicious attacks on him and his family.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:57 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Guess again. His numbers are up.

I don't have to guess. That doesn't change the fact that his core base is dying off.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Maybe it's the dead people driving the numbers.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:03 am

Somebody agrees with me.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:05 pm

This is anecdotal. Mrs. Wabash and I were at a conference recently. We were talking amongst some or our friends who were staunch Trump supporters in 2016. The husband in one couple is a retired USMC colonel. He told me there is no way he will vote for Trump in 2020. He won't vote for any of the Dems. He will write someone in before he votes for Trump. His biggest reason is he has a son that is a captain in the USMC and the last thing he wants is yet another unnecessary war. He believes that if Trump doesn't want one with Iran, there are many around him that do.

Return to “National”