CIF/ Releaguing 2020...

broman

CIF/ Releaguing 2020...

Post by broman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:05 pm

Some practical things that CIF and local AD's should do

DIV 1 should be only the "big Private Schools"
Trinity League as is
Mission League as is
Expanded Angelus League: Oaks, St Bonnies, Crespi, St Francis, Cathedral, Grace Brethren, Sierra Canyon, Bishop Diego

Break the Empire League for travel reason and Crean Lutheran being overmatched..
Get Santa Ana and Orange out of the Orange Coast League
Reestablish leagues by geographical location
CIF divisions based on ranking and location (except for Div 1)
Eliminate 4 team leagues and 3 team leagues

2002tony

Re: CIF/ Releaguing 2020...

Post by 2002tony » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:25 am

I think you need to rethink the Angelus league - Oaks is a Div 1 team not Div 2 ( they would dominate this league) Crespi needs to get out and drop to a lower division still and to a league that they can compete in as they would get blown out of this league on a weekly basis.
Bishop Diego competes in the Camino league but would just lose every game in the Angelus. They just have not proven they are ready for that jump.
Probably a better fit at this point in time would be to drop Loyola out of the Mission and put them in the Angelus with those teams. that would give you the 6 teams in that league you are looking for

just a thought..

SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:37 am

Sadly CIF would never split public and private due to California ED Code ](*,)

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:09 am

Howd you all feel this worked out???

TomDrake

Post by TomDrake » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:23 am

SoCalFball wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:37 am
Sadly CIF would never split public and private due to California ED Code ](*,)
How would ed code prevent that?

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:11 am

We should develop more conferences but make them 12 teams as often as possible. Use the South Coast/Seaview conference as a model. We already have relegation and promotion in CIF divisions. We might as well have it in league designations as well.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:49 am

Big Privates and Small Privates..... privates could be made up by divisions and leagues. Since the majority of good players all want to flock to these programs make a set or rules they are all happy with and let it be. MD and SJB have taken all this to such a level any way whom is going to play them any longer? They will be fishing outside state, national recognition and TV play.... possibly resulting one day in pay.

It is beyond obvious in the present sate that publics at the best can compete at D3 and D4 as CDM and SJH proved out beating to smaller division privates. If there are publics in to playing at the D1 and 2 levels let them chose to play the Big Privates, I am not against that. Yet right now in any sense, the best publics can put up now are CC and MV which mirror privates yet just can't enough.

CIF has made attempts at equity, not sure the 14 divisions has solved that at the top and has only rendered programs that would have faded away most likely a reason to keep playing for a lower division championship.

Maybe it's time publics look at "District Teams"? Could a Sunset or South Coast District (combined) team compete with Trinity? Would it be a game if MV and SC joined, CDM, Edison and Los Al...? I mean MD and SJB are just collectives, why not publics. :eh?:
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:34 am

Well with the talk of D1 going to a 4 team playoff why not stop there and make it 2 teams cuz that's all who is getting and winning the title anyways

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:34 pm

I wish they could find a way to make the leagues more competitive. The league champions were all pre-determined in all but about 3 leagues this year. They could have saved a lot of time by just sending MD, Bosco, CDM, Edison, MV, Orange, Katella, La Habra, San Juan Hills and Villa Park straight to the playoffs.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:06 pm

Create a league consisting of the six Capistrano Unified High Schools moving Mission Viejo to a four team league consisting of the Saddleback Valley District High Schools. Since the Saddleback Valley School District has allowed Mission Viejo to recruit players from Newport Beach to San Juan Capistrano let their other district schools deal with the problem.

BoscoBrave

Post by BoscoBrave » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:19 am

I would move all of the private schools from the Trinity, Mission and the other upcoming or ambitious private/public schools who want to play by college based rules into a top division. You could loosen the rules a bit to allow a certain amount of transfers and actual scholarship money per year that would even the playing field.

You would go after major tv and product sponsorships for the entire division which I think would have more top tier public schools and lower level privates fighting to join at that point.

When you have a division that is modeled after college football, it could become very interesting to see the rise of multiple schools that were maybe on the cusp of reaching the level of the big two.

Obviously you need the administrations of all the schools to buy in, but it would be incredible to have all of the schools have the same rules to follow and put it in the hands of the coaches/recruiters to out do each other. You could have a 8/16 team playoff and those that don’t make the playoffs can play a series of bowl games.

Teams could apply to go to that division and would have to stay there for at least 4 years to build their programs before being evaluated. I know there are a lot of issues that could arise but it really could become an incredible thing for high school football.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:03 am

I think the trinity should rotate the last place team, every two years, like south coast does, with seaview.
Im sure SJH, will be back in the south coast again real soon.
Take Santa Margarita out and put in a Bishop Amat? Or whoever is doing better. Or just take out MD and Bosco, and put them on a national circut with IMG, GORMAN, DLASALLE, kATY, PUNAHO, Chandler, etc..
Californa, vegas, florida, texas, hawaii, arizona.
Then you can have parity with the rest of high school football, once all the 5 star :lol: , guys are gone.
Hey they have the donors and money, travel where you wish, New Jersey, To Hawaii.
This is where ESPN WILL GET IN BIG, AND Nike and Adidas will shell out some serious money.
You still will have the Pete Carrol guru's who can find some diamonds in the rough, at the lower level play, and scholarships will come, real 3 star players will be found. I mean look at Clay Mathews, nobody offered this kid anything. He walked on at SC, and has been a force in the league for years now. Thats blue collar!

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:19 am

When you guys discuss leagues, you are aware it applies to all sports, not just football? What you are saying will NEVER happen because, contrary to popular belief, MD and Bosco do not have an unlimited budget to pay for traveling like this. What would happen to tennis, swimming, track, baseball, soccer, golf, wrestling, etc?

SK80

Post by SK80 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:47 pm

OutOfState wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:19 am
MD and Bosco do not have an unlimited budget to pay for traveling like this. What would happen to tennis, swimming, track, baseball, soccer, golf, wrestling, etc?
They would all continue to sit in the back seat to the driver which is football. :lol:
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:09 am

Out of State,
Since football brings in all the revenue, we want this for football only! They need to and should make it happen. Without football, they would be more broke than they are.
Basketball, girls swimming and water polo, can stay in the regular league.
Football is the driving force and $$$$$ maker
I dont see these types of crowds for a boys cif soccer scrum.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:33 am

Unless it's MD basketball..

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:03 am

News for you all, the revenue football brings in just pays for the expenses for football...not even close to buying golf tees for the the golf team...you're talkin Liz and Bernie here if you think you could fund all sports off football revenue.

Simple solution, if the parents of a student can pay for tuition at a private school and are prioritized equitably in terms of wait list...problem solved.

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:13 am

At the last releaguing cycle the concept of football only leagues was floated and the Golden West/Sunset mixed a bit to create the football only version of the GWL which includes Laguna Beach and Marina. It has worked out fairly well as the 8 teams in the new GWL have been very competitive. One could certainly look at other football only options as well (the PCL is adding Dana HIlls for football only next fall as an example)

South Coast is going to end up with Mission/SC/Tesoro/SJH and the Sea View with Capo/El Toro/Trabuco/Aliso. Honestly that seems like a really good split for football. Scheduling for those top 4 is going to be a real challenge though.Don't know where they will find a week 6 or 7 game

Ginger88

Post by Ginger88 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:29 am

4 team league are not good for High School Sports. 3 league games is silly!

OldSunsetFan

Post by OldSunsetFan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:09 pm

broman wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:05 pm
Some practical things that CIF and local AD's should do

DIV 1 should be only the "big Private Schools"
Trinity League as is
Mission League as is
Expanded Angelus League: Oaks, St Bonnies, Crespi, St Francis, Cathedral, Grace Brethren, Sierra Canyon, Bishop Diego

Break the Empire League for travel reason and Crean Lutheran being overmatched..
Get Santa Ana and Orange out of the Orange Coast League
Reestablish leagues by geographical location
CIF divisions based on ranking and location (except for Div 1)
Eliminate 4 team leagues and 3 team leagues
Corona Del Mar, Edison and Los Alamitos out of the Sunset League and send them down south to play in a super public school league.

or

Move Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach and Newport Harbor into a lower level league and move way better teams into the Sunset League and make it a super public school league.