MD at Peoria Centennial: Will The Monarchs Get HEAT Checked??

RedPillWonderland

MD at Peoria Centennial: Will The Monarchs Get HEAT Checked??

Postby RedPillWonderland » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:28 pm

RedPillWonderland wrote:Source of the post daddyooo wrote:
the MD game at Peoria Centennial will be very interesting ... Long bus ride, 100 degrees plus at kickoff, an opponent with a history of beating big time programs (Bishop Gorman, St Thomas Aquinas), full house. Trap game if there ever was one.

MD -35

It’s 109 degrees in Peoria right now. Geezus lol

It will likely be 100+ during POST GAME interviews! “WATERRRR!!”

Playthegame

Re: MD at Peoria Centennial: Will The Monarchs Get HEAT Checked??

Postby Playthegame » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:52 pm

Better take a few barrels of Pickle juice or Crates of Bananas...Cramps will be a huge if issue if trainers do not get a head of that one...

Good hunting for the Monarchs in OOS battles, Rep the OC...Bring the W!

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:39 pm

NORCO was up there two weeks ago and it was 115 degrees during the day and 110 at kick off time...Norco had no issues with the heat

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:13 pm

Alemany also beat Gilbert Higley in the Phoenix area 55-16 two weeks ago.

Any California team heading down there better be HYDRATING hydrating the entire week. Electrolyte loading every single day and night. Wait until pregame and you’ll be laid out on the field with some grad student wearing a fanny pack stretching your hamstrings and quads in futility.

Just getting all the kids back on the bus healthy would be the biggest win this Friday, particularly #9.

kingspeed

Postby kingspeed » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Yes, heat will be a factor as it’s been a cool 70 degrees in Santa Ana and
So Cal in general and MD will not be prepared. It’s been so cool here not sure they will survive.

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:15 am

It hit 95 in Santa Ana/Anaheim yesterday and will again today. It’s not 109 or a desert oven, but it definitely has not been “a cool 70” around here. This is end of summer, the hottest stretch of the year. Even the beach temps have been in the 80s.

jb914

Postby jb914 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:25 am

Isn't that the same thing everyone said about the Gorman game last year?

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:39 am

jb914 wrote:Source of the post Isn't that the same thing everyone said about the Gorman game last year?

Was thinking the same thing. I’ll make a call to the Fertittas in Vegas to change the line for MD-PC to Monarchs -42 ...

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:17 am

this will be another big test for MD

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:37 am

I am betting the staff at MD has the health and preparedness well accounted for. They did fine in Vegas. Being five hours east the sun will be going down and will be quite nice

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:31 am

The Coyotes program has won back to back Arizona 5A titles, 4 out of 5 and 7 state titles overall, winning last year’s title game 60-7 against Scottsdale Notre Dame Catholic. AZ is moving to an open playoffs division for the top 8 teams in the state in 4A through 6A (CIF should take a look at this), so they will potentially have to battle through other state powers like Chandler and Saguaro to win a title this year.

There’s a lot of talk about Centennial’s upsets of Saint Thomas Aquinas and Gorman, but that 2017 STA squad was its worst in the last 6-8 years and barely beat a mediocre Bosco team in OT in its ‘17 opener. And last year’s Gorman team was obviously their worst in maybe a decade.

On top of that, after giving up only 85 points on defense during a 14-0 title season last fall, the Coyotes were stomped out on ESPN on their home field by nationally ranked 14-1 Washington 3A state champ Eastside Catholic in the Geico State Champions Bowl game, 17-0, giving up 5 sacks to 2021 5 star recruit JT Tuimolau. So maybe the “giant killers” thing is a bit overblown.

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:41 am

Quick overview from the Arizona media sources:

Coyotes return their best player, FS/RB/KR Jaydin Young, who had 15 TDs last season and two more tubs in a much closer than expected season opener against Queen Creek (AZ) Casteel two weeks ago (34-27).

The offense returns its state champion QB, 5-10 172lb Sr dual-threat lefty Jonathan Morris. The other biggest skill threat on offense is senior 6-3 WR Dyelan Miller, who is being heavily recruited by Arizona and who the Arizona Republic says may be the best WR to ever play at the school (3 year starter). Per the Republic, the three returning OLine starters in juniors Caiden Miles, Oscar Abundis and Filipo Teofilo, are a combined 930 pounds.

The defense lost seven starters from the dominant unit last season, but does return Young (3 INT in 2018) and senior 5-10 CB Eric Haney (also a WR) to the secondary. Senior 5-11 DT Xavier Garcia also returns (had the game ending QB pressure v Casteel) as does senior 6-1 DE/OLB Derek Jodarski. 6-2 junior and Chicago-area transfer Bryson Thomas is at LB.

Head coach Richard Taylor has been in position almost as long as Rollo (29th year) and seems resigned to this likely not being a successful hunt for his Coyotes: “Whatever happens, this will be something our kids can talk about the rest of their lives. This game will give us the opportunity to really see where we are at.”

My favorite Taylor quote on this one: “When I told my wife we were going to do that (game), she said, ‘I think you’re getting too big for your britches,”’ Taylor said. “I said, ‘I have no illusion that I think we’re going to go out there and push these guys around. But can you imagine Mater Dei coming to Centennial High School?’ She goes, ‘Oh, that is kind of cool.’”

LOL

KuppRunneth

Postby KuppRunneth » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:49 am

MD by 31

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:18 pm

#RockAndRollBaby

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Actually this game could be very competitive - Peoria Centennial has had two weeks to prepare for
this game (I'm sure their HC scheduled it this way when he scheduled MD plus the MD/VP game got pushed back two days because of a pre-season VP practice infraction apparently...

MD has not had a lot of practice time for this game - hope not; but if there was ever an indication
of a possible upset, this is IT.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:09 am

Cruiser I see your point but sometimes not playing at game speed for two weeks leaves you a step behind, also the MD program is a very well oiled machine hitting on all cylinders. PC may have some swag goin in due to prior victories, but this MD team will dirt nap the Yotes...

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:39 pm

Great interview of Rollo by the Phoenix area/AZ newspaper. Interesting perspective on what an out of state writer thinks of Mater Dei Football (and the school/athletic program as a whole - “a monster chasing national championships”).

"I've been doing this a long time," Rollinson said. "The first thing you see when you look at Centennial, they've got athletes and they're well-coached. They're lined up in the correct spots. They have excellent technique.

"They've got my kids' attention. We're not going in there with the Mater Dei flag, saying, 'Here we are.' They know there's a target. It's incumbent upon me to have them ready to go. We're coming in there expecting a high level intense football game."

On the heat:

Will Centennial have any edge practicing in severe heat?

It’s been about 108 for the high temperatures all week in the Valley. On Friday, the high is expected to reach 107.

Rollinson said that in Santa Ana this week, it’s been a heat wave with temperatures in the mid-90s.

“I’m a weirdo when it comes to weather,” Rollinson said. “Just don’t say anything about it. The bigger deal you make of it, the bigger deal it becomes. I remember one time we were playing in Sacramento and it was 28 degrees and the wind was blowing hard. We never played in anything like that. I just told the coaches, ‘Don’t say anything.’”

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:44 pm

PC HC Richard Taylor: “Getting ready emotionally is easy. Getting ready for the stuff that they do with superior players at every position is a little more difficult."

Taylor on Bryce Young: “He's an outstanding athlete first and he's an excellent quarterback," Taylor said. "He calls a lot of plays at the line of scrimmage. You can see with hand motions, he's making changes. He's very smart."

On having reached out to Rollo and MD this year after failing to get a game scheduled under a prior PC AD: "It's just exciting for the community, for the team to have Mater Dei High School come in and play," Taylor said. "And we'll play as hard as we possibly can."

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:21 pm

Coyotes bumping Young Jeezy’s “Put On For My City” in warmups. Can they? Will they?

Richard thinks “this should be a great game.” He looks like he’s dehydrated lol

Return to “High School”