Check Your Citrus Trees

ShiftyMutt

Check Your Citrus Trees

Postby ShiftyMutt » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 am

Apparently in So Calif there’s an Asian citrus psyllid attacking citrus trees.

They leave a bacteria that destroys the entire tree eventually. Since it’s a threat to the citrus industry, the Dept of Agriculture is taking out trees on people’s property if they find evidence of infestation. They came to my door and took samples of my trees. On Monday they doing treatment. Apparently my trees aren’t to the point of infestation but I’m in an affected area. Parts of OC and LA are mostly affected and in quarantine. It looks like most all of So Cal is quarantined.

I’m tellin’ ya I almost broke down and cried at the thought of them taking out my trees. They’re not just my privacy but their shade saves $$$ on my A/C bill, and of course the fruit.

So if you have citrus trees, check ‘em!

http://californiacitrusthreat.org/pest-disease

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Check Your Citrus Trees

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:59 pm

It couldn't hurt to post some of their pictures. We have a lemon, a lime and two orange trees, so we've been a little nervous about this for a couple years. So far, so good. We'd hate to lose ours, too.

Adult psyllids
pest-adult psylids.jpg

Young psyllids
pest-psyllid nymphs.jpg

Sooty mold, which can also be a symptom of other pests.
pest-sooty-mold.jpg

A leaf from an infected tree. Too late to save at this point and the tree has to be destroyed.
pest-YellowingLeaves.jpg
Don't look at me, I just work here.

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:59 pm

I tried to post a picture I took of the larvae I found on some leaves but my picture posting abilities are iffy. They don’t always load, so I just posted the link.

If you check your trees, look at the new sprouted leaves, they like to lay their eggs there.

Apparently they dig a little trench around the base of the tree to inject pesticide. I had to call and tell them that I have a pet bird buried under the tree so they have to go around him. :(

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:50 am

RIP Birdy.

I checked ours and nope, no psyllids. But I saw some leaf curl on the new shoots and a little yellowing on some older leaves. Hopefully nothing a little Neem oil won't fix.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Return to “California”