Bryce Young Flips to Bama

Domingo

Re: Bryce Young Flips to Bama

Postby Domingo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:01 pm

Has nothing to do with SC's current uncertainty at HC. This was a business decision made once JT was lost for the season AND more importantly, once Kedon Slovis became a legitimate contender for the SC QB position for the next several seasons. Daniels and Slovis will now compete for the starting job for the next TWO seasons MINIMUM. Bryce was expecting JT to be gone to the NFL after either his 3rd or 4th year at SC. Bryce also was NOT expecting Slovis to become the factor he has become in the QB situation at SC (neither was JT or anyone else for that matter). Bryce was looking at a situation where he would have to compete for the job with two underclassmen for the next 2-3 years. Not an ideal spot for ANY incoming freshman. Some will say he didn't want to compete for the job against these two. Some will say he made the best business decision for himself.

KuppRunneth

Postby KuppRunneth » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:50 am

wrong. Bryce aint worried about JT or Slovis. Stop playing yourself.

OutOfState

Postby OutOfState » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:31 am

Domingo wrote:Has nothing to do with SC's current uncertainty at HC. This was a business decision made once JT was lost for the season AND more importantly, once Kedon Slovis became a legitimate contender for the SC QB position for the next several seasons. Daniels and Slovis will now compete for the starting job for the next TWO seasons MINIMUM.

Wrong. BY is better than both Slovis and Daniels and the decision has very little to do with the current QBs at USC. He made a very smart personal business decision.

jb914

Postby jb914 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:06 am

yea, cuz, you know Alabama hasn't had any recent QB competitions right Domingo? :lol:

OCurbanlegend

Postby OCurbanlegend » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:08 am

KuppRunneth wrote:wrong. Bryce aint worried about JT or Slovis. Stop playing yourself.

you are 100% correct. This decision was in the works 3 months ago before JT even got hurt or Slovis played a down. Not to mention based on Slovis performance against BYU is anybody really concerned about competing for that spot? If you are a real dude and can legitimately play anywhere in college why not compete against the best? If people want to argue that is at USC, well I will let them talk to themselves. From strictly a football perspective I can't see one legitimate selling point for SC over Bama.

Domingo

Postby Domingo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:02 am

So why did BY commit to SC in the first place? He knew the coaching situation wasn't stable when he verbally committed back in the summer. He knew SC was NO WHERE NEAR the football program Alabama was when he gave Coach Helton his verbal commitment. None of that has changed. Helton is still on the hot seat and Alabama is a MUCH better program than USC. What has changed was what I mentioned above and it's why he decided to switch schools. JT is now staying at SC at least a year longer than BY anticipated AND Slovis, a true freshman, is NOW a legitimate contender for the QB position at USC. Bryce made a business decision that I probably would have made myself. The Alabama QB competition for the next two seasons is not nearly as competitive as the dynamic at SC right now.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:11 am

Maybe the academic requirements at USC might have been too difficult. The acceptance rate at Bama is over 50%. The acceptance rate at USC is about a third that level.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

KuppRunneth

Postby KuppRunneth » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:17 am

Wabash wrote:Source of the post Maybe the academic requirements at USC might have been too difficult. The acceptance rate at Bama is over 50%. The acceptance rate at USC is about a third that level.

You can't be serious. BY academic record is more than fine. A guy like him doesnt just not get into USC because his grades suck.

jb914

Postby jb914 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:03 pm

Domingo wrote:So why did BY commit to SC in the first place? He knew the coaching situation wasn't stable when he verbally committed back in the summer. .

Bryce Young committed to USC in the summer of 2018. JT Daniels had not yet played a down of football for the Trojans. At that time you had JT, Matt Fink and Jack Sears fighting for the QB1 status, so, not exactly a bunch of cupcakes, Fink and Sears can both ball. There were high hopes for 2018 USC. Darnold had just left for the draft and USC was ranked around 15th to start the season.

Well, the 2018 season didn't exactly go as planned and then you have the OC Tee Martin fired and Kliff Kingsbury's magical three-week stint while he promised the world and left the school embarrassed and pissed of Bru McCoy and family enough to transfer to the a hippy infested and humid 40 acres of Austin. But, at least they have good bbq. :lol:

I think Bryce's interviews have shown he had built a relationship with Helton and staff. Now barring USC running the table Helton et al are gone, baby. Bring in coach TBA who Bryce doesn't know. Add in Lynn Swann stepping down (aka quit or be fired) and the pay to get in USC fiasco.

meanwhile, you have one of the most storied coaches in NCAA history with a stable consistent National championship pedigree program recruiting you, 4-5* depth at OL

Even Greg Biggin's said on 247 that it wasn't QB competition or JT's injury, but, the coaching uncertainty that was main factor.

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Sept 14:
RedPillWonderland wrote:Source of the post Oh, and Bryce Young is the best player in the country — bar none. Kid is unreal. He’s going to be awesome at Alabama lol

This wasn’t exactly out of nowhere lol

If you pay attention to recruiting, especially 247 Sports, the Alabama beat guys have been following the parallel Crimson Tide/Bryce courtship since at least the summer — and they seemed very confident Bama was going to steal Bryce since about June/July (a lot written about Bryce by the Bama beat guy Hank South at the Opening/Elite 11).

Former SC coach Steve Sarkisian has been sliding into Bryce’s DMs since he returned to Bama from the NFL in the offseason. Sark has known about Bryce since he was quarterbacking HS 7on teams to titles on SC’s campus as a middle schooler, when Sark was still coach at SC.

Here is what Bryce told Hank South of BamaOnline.com in an interview at The Opening on JUNE 29:

About Sark: “I’ve known him for a while, known him when he was at SC, talked with him some at Washington, so that’s someone I’ve known for a while,” Young said. “He’s a great guy, great coach, so I have a lot of respect — the utmost respect — for him, and that’s why there’s been communication with the respect that I have for him and everything like that.”

Young and the UA staff stay in frequent communication. Nick Saban FaceTimed with the family last week (meaning the week before the Opening in June)

“Just the opportunity to come in and compete,” Young said of Saban’s pitch. “That’s something that’s going to be wherever I’m at. I’m going to have to compete and work and prove myself wherever I go. He’s talked to me about the quarterback room, how he would love to see me compete and work. It’s a big honor to talk to Coach Saban and Coach Sark. I have a lot of respect for them and their program.”

Young gave his thoughts on the depth chart in Tuscaloosa.

“Tua (Tagovailoa) most likely will be gone, so I think that’s something to consider,” he said. “It’s a great situation. Again, I have a lot of respect for Alabama and the system they run there.”

Saban has been whispering sweet nothings in Bryce’s ear for the better part of this entire calendar year. He doesn’t do that with just any kid, especially not one committed elsewhere. Add that to Bama’s original Elite 11 QB commit Carson Beck of Jacksonville FL flipping in the spring to Georgia, and to everything Bryce said above, and this was just a matter of time. It’s Bama for goodness sakes!!

I’m glad Bryce is going there; at least he (and Tommy Brown) will get to play on the biggest stage every year. So what that it’s not for a Pac 12 school. Those schools aren’t on Bama/Clemson’s level right now. I for one want to see California’s best HS players in college plying for championships and at the highest level, with the best chance to be pros. Good for both Bryce and DJ not being afraid to step out of the comfort zone/region and COMPETE with the best.

OldSunsetFan

Postby OldSunsetFan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Bryce Young for President

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:34 pm

These were Bryce’s own words explaining the decision, for anyone speculating or who hasn’t seen Greg Biggins article on the switch:

“For me, I just felt like this was the best thing for me. It definitely wasn’t an overnight decision. Me and my family have been praying about this for a long time and I really feel strongly that Alabama is where God wants me and I’m excited about all the opportunities I’ll have there.”

Young said there wasn’t just one factor that weighed things in Bama’s favor but several.

“My relationship with Nick Saban and Steve Sarkisian is really strong,” Young said. “They have been recruiting me heavily for a long time now and I'm very comfortable with both coaches. I love the football program and how committed everyone there is. It reminds me a lot of how it is here at Mater Dei, how focused everyone is on being great.

“I love the strength and nutrition program and just how they do their recovery. Coach Cochran is cool and a fun guy to be around but very good at what he does and I’m excited to work with him. I love the offense and I think it’s a great fit for me as well. I know I’ll always be surrounded by a lot of talent, not just at the receiver and offensive line positions but really everywhere. You’re really set up for success being the quarterback at Alabama.”

Young is an early graduate and will be able to enroll in time for Spring ball.

“There were no promises given and I know I have to compete but I’m coming in with the mindset of competing for playing time right away,” Young said. “I’m going to work my hardest and give myself every opportunity when I get there.

“Alabama is such a storied program with so much tradition, I just fell in love with it there. From the people I met, the staff, the players, the environment, it all made me feel like this was the right thing for me to do. Going in to the visit, I had a good idea what Alabama was all about and during the trip, that’s when I knew this is where I wanted to be and when I solidified my decision. I told coach Saban and coach Sark and they were all really excited and so was I."

Young was recently bumped up to the No. 4 player nationally by 247Sports and is having a big senior year. He’s excited to put recruiting behind him now and focus solely on Mater Dei football.

“Yeah it weighed on me a little,” Young said. “It was stressful at times and this was definitely one of the toughest decisions I’ve ever had to make. USC didn’t do anything wrong and I love the staff there.

“This was never about USC not meeting my expectations or anything, it was more about me feeling Alabama was too good of an opportunity to pass up. We were very thorough in our research and like I said, we prayed over this decision a lot. I have total peace about it right now and I'm really excited about the incredible opportunity, I'm grateful for it and I'm going to be ready to go."

OldSunsetFan

Postby OldSunsetFan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:43 pm

Thank you

Return to “High School”