The Trump Impeachment Inquiry

Omar Bongo

Re: The Trump Impeachment Inquiry

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:17 pm

"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:50 pm

Oh, the supreme irony:

Trump Team, Opening Defense, Accuses Democrats of Plot to Subvert Election

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBZkgbt

Isn't that EXACTLY what Trump was trying to do-- subvert the 2020 election by extorting Ukraine?

Surreal doesn't begin to describe the times we now live in... ](*,)
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:37 am

One of the other arguments Trump supporters posit is claiming the Dems are trying to subvert the will of 63 million voters. And how can that be justified.

To which I respond that it is justified in the same way the Electoral College subverted the will of 65 million voters. EOS.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:47 am

There must be a lot pee pee tapes out there.

I agree with Bette.
Attachments
83166765_3065391580218501_49692123074658304_n.jpg
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

broman

Post by broman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:24 pm

Damn Body Snatchers....

Amid their calls for witnesses and documents, Democrats have also highlighted an ABC News report that captured Trump in 2018 ordering the removal of Marie Yovanovitch as U.S. ambassador to Ukraine. Lev Parnas, a former associate of Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, was at the dinner during which Trump made the remarks and has provided the recording to the House Intelligence Committee. Trump has denied knowing Parnas.

When asked about Trump’s denial on CNN, Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) noted that “the president meets a lot of people.” Tom Cotton(R-Okla.), meanwhile, said on “Face the Nation” that the recording’s release hadn’t influenced the votes of any senators and reminded him of Democratic attempts to block Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation to the Supreme Court. He added that Trump was told Yovanovitch predicted he would be impeached. Yovanovitch has denied ever making that statement
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/2 ... nce-105254

1. Trump did more than meet Parnas, he had a conversation with him...
2. Parnas other buddy had the ability to video tape the POTUS ....
3. You justify the firing of Ambassador Yovanovitch based on the words of Lev Parnas..... :eh?:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:46 pm

Re: all the chaff being tossed into the air by the GOP media machine- Hunter Biden, Kavanaugh, "undoing the 2016 election", etc. ad nauseum...

This is about Trump trying to use U.S. Congress-allocated military aid as leverage to extort foreign influence on the 2020 campaign, plain and simple.

Extortion for personal gain

Abuse of office

Stonewalling the investigation

Lying at every turn

Everyone knows it, but because integrity has given way to hyper-partisanship we can do nothing about it

This is how democracy dies
George Will

Donald Trump

broman

Post by broman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:33 pm

Gotta love Fox News....

A top aide to former national security adviser John Bolton is disputing part of a Sunday report in The New York Times, which claimed Bolton had shared a manuscript of his forthcoming book with "close associates" -- and Bolton's lawyer is saying the National Security Council's review process of pending manuscripts is "corrupted" and apparently prone to leaks.
The Times reported that the manuscript included a bombshell claim that Trump explicitly linked a hold on Ukraine aid to an investigation of Joe and Hunter Biden. Trump told Bolton in August, according to a transcript of Bolton's forthcoming book reviewed by the Times, "that he wanted to continue freezing $391 million in security assistance to Ukraine until officials there helped with investigations into Democrats including the Bidens."
It is clear, regrettably, from The New York Times article published today that the prepublication review process has been corrupted and that information has been disclosed by persons other than those properly involved in reviewing the manuscript."
(Sounds to me that Bolton is disputing the claim).......

however.....
Bolton's representatives made clear he was not denying the Times' claim concerning the Ukraine aid holdup and the possible investigation of the Bidens.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/john-b ... manuscript

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:32 pm

So, the book was submitted 4 weeks ago. Plenty of time for Donald's lawyers to have read it and enough time for someone to have read it to Don. Was there anything material in it that might have contradicted what Don's lawyers said to Congress?

McConnell says he "coordinated" with the White House. What did he know?

And what's that "Democrats including the Bidens mean?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:43 pm

The more we learn the worse it gets:

Mr. Bolton also described other key moments in the pressure campaign, including Mr. Pompeo’s private acknowledgment to him last spring that Mr. Giuliani’s claims about Ms. Yovanovitch had no basis and that Mr. Giuliani may have wanted her removed because she might have been targeting his clients who had dealings in Ukraine as she sought to fight corruption.

Ms. Yovanovitch, a Canadian immigrant whose parents fled the Soviet Union and Nazis, was a well-regarded career diplomat who was known as a vigorous fighter against corruption in Ukraine. She was abruptly removed last year and told the president had lost trust in her, even though a boss assured her she had “done nothing wrong.”

Mr. Bolton also said he warned White House lawyers that Mr. Giuliani might have been leveraging his work with the president to help his private clients.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBZlMfy

And not one Republican member of Congress out of 250 has the ****s to ask for more information. I mean, when is enough enough?

It's like Bizarro World where everything is the opposite of what it is in the normal world. Republicans have lost their minds...
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:56 am

One has to appreciate the GOP argument that no new evidence has been brought forth while they block new evidence.

They must know their base really are as dumb as stumps.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:15 am

Who else besides me had a WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT response at Ken Starr's speech claiming that the impeachment was being weaponized for political purposes.

Pegging the needle on the ironometer.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:59 pm

1,338,678 lawyers in the country and they chose Starr to make that argument. :bonk:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:19 pm

Legal Twitter has been saying this all morning.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Waiting at the dentist to get one of my teeth drilled. Defense attorney Pam Bondi is whining about Hunter Biden.

I turned the TV off and was cheered by the others in the waiting room.

I know this is a shock to the MAGA crowd. Hunter Biden is not on trial.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:52 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Legal Twitter has been saying this all morning
The case that the Senate Majority leader says doesn't exist is being tried (and lost) by Trump on Twitter...

Looking more and more likely we'll get witness testimony:

In Wake of Bolton Book News, White House Allies Say Trump Lawyers Bungled Defense

The disclosure in the New York Times Sunday night directly contradicts the arguments of the president’s lawyers...

The Republican who advises the White House predicted there now may be no way for the White House to prevent Bolton from testifying. The adviser said the cardinal sin by the president's lawyers was not finding out what was in Bolton's book and addressing it in their opening remarks on Saturday.

...One Republican operative who advises the White House said he was “flabbergasted at how stupidly they have handled this.”

“I think it pushes at least four GOP senators to vote to call witnesses. They were soft before this little bombshell,” the Republican operative said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBZnIOs
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:27 pm

Someone has too much time on their hands. But I appreciate the perspective others have on Ken "Blue Dress" Starr bemoaning the use of impeachment as a political weapon. As someone else pointed out. Starr has now participated in 2/3's of all the impeachment trials in US history.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:42 pm

Mitt Romney comes out as a hard yes to call Bolton
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm

This is getting worser and worser by the minute...

“This opens up a can of worms because the senators don’t get to vote on calling individual witnesses,” said a former senior administration official. “If Bolton testifies, then what does that mean for Pompeo or Mulvaney and assertions of executive privilege? It gets complicated and uncertain really fast.”

“Does the White House assert executive privilege over Bolton? If so, who goes to court?” the Republican close to the White House added. “Does the court take jurisdiction or say this is a political question between the other two branches? Does Roberts make the decision? Does he have the power to do so? So many questions.”

The “only good news for Trump is this f---- up the campaign schedule for the Senate [2020] candidates for weeks to come,” said one Republican close to the White House.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBZnL25

Donald can now take his time choreographing his SOTU Rally...
George Will

Donald Trump

broman

Post by broman » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:53 pm

They just went there....

Trump lawyer Robert Ray reiterated a GOP talking point that despite President Trump bypassing proper channels, he did not commit an impeachable offense.

“I know that many of you may come to conclude or may have already concluded that the call was less than perfect,” Ray said. “I have said on any number of occasions, previously and publicly, that it would have been better in attempting to spur action by a foreign government in coordinating law enforcement efforts with our government, to have done so through proper channels.”

Ray went on to argue that although Trump defied going through proper channels, claiming that he committed an impeachable offense is a separate issue.

“While the President certainly enjoys the power to do otherwise, there is consequence to that action as we have now witnessed. After all, that is why we are all here,” Ray said. “But it is another thing altogether to claim that such conduct is clearly and unmistakably impeachable as an abuse of power.”
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/live-blog ... the-senate

Moderate escape hatch.....

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:25 pm

Ray's getting a little ahead of himself arguing against the Third Article of Impeachment.