Coaching changes?

Omar Bongo

Re: Coaching changes?

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:11 am

Raul Lara signs on as RB coach @ Servite...guessing his biggest impact will be on recruiting & transfers
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:29 am

Biggest thing he brings is his history of winning and the respect he garners. This is a statement hire for the Friars. Doesn't matter if he is the assistant kicking coach. Just having him on the staff is important.

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:13 am

phenomenal hire, obviously.

benotafraid

Post by benotafraid » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:30 am

The court of public opinion on Coach Lara is interesting if not predictable. I recall back when he was at Poly, more than a few people would criticize his coaching abilities. There were quite a few Trinity league fans here who, perhaps by trying to rationalize their losses to Poly or just plain always were in the habit of denigrating other programs except there own, had a lot to say about Coach Lara. To paraphrase, he underachieved, considering all the talent he had at his disposal at Poly. He should have won two or three more championships, didn’t know how to coach talent etc.
Boy, if anyone could have said “you’re gonna miss me when I’m gone” , that would be Coach Lara. He understood better than anyone the complexities of coaching and recruiting in a community and public school environment like Poly better than anyone. Yes I know the Long Beach landscape for school choice and Bosco’s rise have very large impacts on Poly, but I think it is clear that Coach Lara did a fantastic job there. I’m glad he has earned the respect he is due.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:26 pm

benotafraid wrote:the Long Beach landscape for school choice and Bosco’s rise have very large impacts on Poly
This should be at the front, not the end

He did a good job with the immense talent he had year after year, but with all due respect Lara was never regarded as a coaching genius...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

benotafraid

Post by benotafraid » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 pm

If the subject was Poly, perhaps I would have put it up front. Couldn’t tell ya if Coach Lara is a great coach or a mediocre one, but he’s got championships, more than most and that should count for something. He was a big part of a great era.

Destiny

Post by Destiny » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:07 pm

Wait, is it true OLu promoted freshman coach that went 1-10 and that sued his former school? WTHeck? HaHaHADoesn’t seem like a smart business decision... why did he sue servite also heard he’s being sued?? Is that all true?? HC better start plugging holes - hearing several other coaches leaving and trying to take kids. :fan:

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Fri May 22, 2020 11:39 am

Rob Johnson and Sam Baker to JSerra...coaches in all their dudes out...