Mater Dei's 2017 squad was tops in 2010s

1. Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) 2017 15-0
2. Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) 2016 15-0
3. Booker T. Washington (Miami) 2013 14-0
4. Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.) 2011 11-0
5. Allen (Texas) 2013 16-0

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/DDsctEKEd ... decade.htm

And by inference, the best of all time... =D>
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

dntn31

Re: Top High School Football Teams of the Last Decade

Post by dntn31 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:57 pm

Bosco is the only team with two entries in the top 10 teams of the decade. Combined with Negro winning Coach of the decade and BY and DJ sharing player of the year, I'd say that's a pretty good showing for the Trinity League.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:44 pm

I find it strange that this year's (or even '16 and '18) MD team didn't get consideration over some of the lower ranked teams...IMHO in a head-to-head they would get thumped

Truth be told at least half a dozen of the ten slots should be MD and SJB...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:47 am

Maxpreps has released their state by state "MOST DOMINATE" high school football programs, 5 Orange County schools made the grade, Mater Dei, Mission Viejo, Santa Margarita, Servite, Corona del Mar. The CIF-SS and OC come out strong... =D>

Top 20 dominant California high school football programs of last decade

While Southern California powers Mater Dei and St. John Bosco have ruled the last four season, Northern California juggernaut De La Salle is the most dominant over the last decade.

Quick. Which is the most dominant football program over the last decade in California?

Surely it would have to be one of the two big super powers that have emerged in the Golden State: St. John Bosco (Bellflower) or Mater Dei (Santa Ana), right?

The Braves and Monarchs have won the last two mythical national championships according to MaxPreps, and have contended the last four.

Despite that, the team that those two Southern California powerhouses have defeated the last four years in the California Interscholastic Federation Open Division State Championship game — De La Salle (Concord) — is actually the most dominating. Over the decade.

Since 2010, the Spartans have racked up more points via our methodology, which is determined this way:

• Top 25 finishes in the MaxPreps state computer rankings (25 points awarded to the No. 1 team, 24 for No. 2 and so on).
• Top 25 finishes in the MaxPreps national computer rankings (50 points for No. 1, 49 for No. 2 and so on).
• State/Bowl championships (20 points).
• State/Bowl championship game appearances (10 points).

The Spartans, in fact, were the clear winner based upon this system, with more than 200 points over runner-up St. John Bosco.

By section, the Southern Section makes up 13 of the 20 teams, followed by the Sac-Joaquin and San Diego with two each and Los Angeles, Central and North Coast sections with one apiece.

Here are the Top 20 teams in the state based upon that point system.
https://www.maxpreps.com/news/mIM2_VxCH ... decade.htm
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:59 am

You left out JSerra

CDM was 18th of 20...that's "dominant"? :eh?:
George Will

Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:06 am

They averaged 12 wins a year for a decade. There's only one person on the planet who wouldn't call that dominant.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:52 pm

So a win is a win is a win?

With no qualifiers it's a meaningless statement. It's like calling the Globetrotters "most dominant"

How many people (excepting homers) would group CDM together with DLS, MD and Bosco?
George Will

Donald Trump

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:56 am

Omar Bongo wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:52 pm
So a win is a win is a win?

With no qualifiers it's a meaningless statement. It's like calling the Globetrotters "most dominant"

How many people (excepting homers) would group CDM together with DLS, MD and Bosco?
ya, those homers ( you go get them Omar), who would ever put MD in that statement when they are not even in the top 3 compared to DLS, Bosco, and CC. MD should not even be in the remarks with such a big point difference between DLS and MD. Right?

(And it is not DLS MD and Bosco, it is DLS, Bosco, and CC. MD is not in the question of grouping when it comes to the top 3. Right?)

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:53 am

DLS won four national championships and finished nine of ten seasons ranked in the top 15 nationally and top 3 in the state. I'd say you're a homer if you're including any other team in the conversation.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:27 pm

2002tony wrote:ya, those homers...
Have no idea what you're trying to say...spit it out

Obviously "Top teams" is pretty ambiguous, everyone has their own idea of what that means. Highest power rating? Most wins? Most league titles? Most championships? D-12 teams on equal footing with D-1 and Open? No metric or combination would be foolproof for such a subjective title.

And that 10-year window includes a couple uncharacteristic bad year for some teams as well...should they get a mulligan?

I think subjective national polls are interesting, but if they're just people's opinions and not stat-based, for our purposes they're just barroom fodder.

That said, IMHO the best metric would start with preliminary ranking based on a combination of 1) strength of schedule and 2) wins. That would narrow it down, then throw in championships as a tiebreaker.

How you weight the factors above would determine the ranking. DLS with a much weaker SOS? MD with fewer championships? CC with fewer wins? --:--

Haven't run the numbers, but depending on the SOS weighting the top team could very well turn out to be Bosco...
George Will

Donald Trump

Amack001

Post by Amack001 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:30 am

Totally agree with Omar here. Most telling is the 20pts awarded for just making the state championship game...that’s like a gimme for DLS given there are ZERO teams besides north of LA (yup, I said it and I’m not sorry Folsom) that even make this list w/ SoCal competition.

I’m also curious what the Algorithm difference is National vs State rankings...with State receiving 2X more pts than National? Is it basically the same order/algo, but more condensed in state rankings?

THAT, explains how teams like CDM even making the list, racking up tons of wins in weaker division play.

Would love to see this same exercise done using Massey ratings using National rank, then add together and re-rank based on lowest score. I believe Massey uses same algo for National and State, so no separate state ranking trickery to mess with baseline.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:40 am

I think you need to reread the ranking methodology.