Brent vieselmeyer resigns

insidetrinity

Brent vieselmeyer resigns

Post by insidetrinity » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:04 am

Resigning from Santa Margarita to take a job with the redskins

BuckW

Re: Brent vieselmeyer resigns

Post by BuckW » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:47 am

He is taking Luke Del Rio with him to join Daddy Del Rio on the Redskins Staff.

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:57 am

Perfect time for Jim Hartigan to get back into coaching since he and his offensive coordinator are already on staff at SM. Hopefully SM has learned their lesson about hiring former college or NFL coaches. No loyalty or long term commitment from them. Time to get back to hiring a true high school coach

aberamsey

Post by aberamsey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:04 pm

This is the challenge on going with the "big splash" hire. He inherently had options and a history of moving around, so not a surprise that he jumped back into the NFL the first chance he had.

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:34 pm

Can you blame him for leaving though? Its a no brainer

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:53 pm

Why is it a “no-brainer”? There is a huge trade-off in being a college or NFL coach. Time, travel, recruiting (huge hours and travel year-round for college guys), uprooting your family every few years.
Yes, in the NFL you don’t deal with parents, and that, in and of itself, may be worth it.
And unless you’re a coordinator you ain’t making’ big bucks in the NFL or college. I’m gonna guess Rollo makes as much as the avg NFL position coach.
NFL/College coaching and HS are very different animals. As a percentage, the cross-over is very minimal. For many reasons. Two very different paths.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

Jesuitparent

Post by Jesuitparent » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:53 pm

I knew he wasn't going to last. We were better off with Fisher.

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:00 am

Al Koholik wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:53 pm
Why is it a “no-brainer”? There is a huge trade-off in being a college or NFL coach. Time, travel, recruiting (huge hours and travel year-round for college guys), uprooting your family every few years.
Yes, in the NFL you don’t deal with parents, and that, in and of itself, may be worth it.
And unless you’re a coordinator you ain’t making’ big bucks in the NFL or college. I’m gonna guess Rollo makes as much as the avg NFL position coach.
NFL/College coaching and HS are very different animals. As a percentage, the cross-over is very minimal. For many reasons. Two very different paths.
Look, I'm not going to discuss why resigning from a Trinity League head coaching gig to go to the NFL is a no brainer with you. At this point, you just want to hear yourself talk.

This man obviously has aspirations to be a coach, and at the highest level, one day. Your speaking perhaps to your own feelings, which is dumb. But carry on......

OC51football

Post by OC51football » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:14 am

If SM wants to be able to compete in the Trinity League again, they need to hire a coach that can also influence a lot of parents of Star football players to transfer to SM. They need someone with a “Wow” factor and someone with college recruiting connections. I think they should talk to Kunau, former Olu coach.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:08 am

Mr Kupp. Vieselmeyer has already coached in the NFL, as well as D1 College Ball. So your assertion/assumption of his goals, and his one and done at SM, begs the question... If he did/does have such aspirations, to return to the NFL, why did he even take the SM job? And, just as importantly, what did he tell SM as to his vision for his future there? What would he commit to? I can’t imagine such a question was not asked in the interview process. And I can’t imagine that if the coach gave any indication he would leave for an offer to return to the league or college that they would hire him.
Not unlike any one of us, he said what he needed to say in order to get the job. But it’s beyond comprehension that they wouldn’t ask about his intentions with regard to his future at SM.
Yes, I love to hear (read) myself talk (write)... especially when I pose valid questions.
Did the coach really have an intention on re-building the SM program or was this a gap-filling job until he could hook back up in the league?
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

Jesuitparent

Post by Jesuitparent » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:00 am

Wieselmeyer took the SM job as a gap filler and he wasn't very good at it considering his lauded pedigree of having been in the NFL and the Collegiate ranks. Good riddance.

insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:50 pm

They’re hiring Tim Walsh. He “retired” just a few weeks ago at Cal Poly San Louis Obispo. Was a college head coach for 29 years, spent two years as Army’s offensive coordinator. Triple option guy

Jesuitparent

Post by Jesuitparent » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:06 pm

Sweet! We're hiring a guy who runs the triple option??
What a joke!

frankieboy

Post by frankieboy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 pm

With this hire the alma mater of Carson Palmer has decided that they can't compete for talent with the Bosco's, Mater Dei's and JSerra's of the world. Hence they decided to go the service academy route.

Will be interesting to see if there's another exodus of players, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Of course if they get a Norwood to play in the flexbone-it could be real interesting.

Amazed that Hartigan bought into this one.

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:52 pm

"decided that they can't compete for talent with the Bosco's, Mater Dei's and JSerra's of the world. Hence they decided to go the service academy route."

I'm sorry, nobody can compete for talent with Bosco and MD. If you think Servite, JSerra, Olu, MV, CC, or anyone else can "compete" for talent, you are sadly mistaken. Bosco and MD are 3 to 4 TD's better than every other team in the Section. JSerra and Servite can fight over MD and Bosco's leftovers but they'll never win a league or CIF title the way things are are going. This is a bad thing.

It just seems like SM is the first to recognize it and try something else. Run the ball and keep the ball out of the other teams hands? OK. Honestly, how much worse can it get? The gap in the Trinity League had gotten insane.

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:17 pm

I agree. I don’t think it’s a crazy idea. These unusual quirky offenses do trouble teams with far superior talent.

frankieboy

Post by frankieboy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:27 pm

If you get fast enough running backs, and a guy like Norwood running it-could definitely work.