Any Readers Here?

ShiftyMutt

Any Readers Here?

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:10 am

The more spare time I get, the more I’m reading. Beats the heck outta the daily world headlines.

Not sure this post will get much activity but it would be great to post recommendations.

I started a reading goal of 40 books last year and this year I’m trying for 50.

Here’s last years titles:

*Best book of the year* - Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (WW2 survival story)
Other high marks for:
- Non-fiction -

Sapiens, Homo Deus, and 21 Lessons for the 21st Century - all by Noah Yuval Herrari. All are a lot to absorb though.
Becoming - by Michelle Obama
Factfulness - by Hans Rosling
The Sixth Extinction - by Elizabeth Kolbert (very science-y but so interesting)

- Fiction -

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides (soon to be a movie)
Where the Crawdads Sing (chick-lit and also soon to be a movie)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night (oldie but goodie)
The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict - just because people should know the contributions of Mileva Marić, (his first wife) to Einstein’s success. She was nearly as brilliant as him but education and success for women back then was thin. She was pretty much a badass. Fiction but based on researched fact.

The only book I thought was absolutely stoooooopid was Verity. :thumbsdown:
Attachments
7FB287F3-A3E3-43A3-8C99-C80FCC22AD4F.jpeg
9C0B6B63-0B34-4984-B7E6-71D697BB4128.jpeg

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Any Readers Here?

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:10 pm

Boy, don't you hate it when you get a book you really don't like? I remember reading one years ago that somebody recommended and I special ordered it and read it and I hated it almost from Page 1. The writing wasn't anything special and the antagonist was an awful person and the protagonist was just whiny. But I committed to reading it so I finished it. And then I went and took a shower. Miserable book. No redeeming qualities.

I read a lot of newspaper and magazine articles but I'm very scatterbrained, so if a book is too long or convoluted I get completely lost and I forget characters, so when they get to "the butler did it" I'm like, "Butler? Who was the butler?"

The last book I read was "How to Become a Federal Criminal: An Illustrated Handbook for the Aspiring Offender." Not long, short sections and entertaining book about odd federal laws. Trivial but fun. My kind of stuff.

Next up: I think I'll re-read my Raymond Chandler collection. I just love his writing. And I've forgotten most of it so it will all be new again.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Shifty, you are very ambitious. I set my annual goal at 20, and I usually have to hump like crazy in the last three months to get there. My favorites of the past two or three years:

Fiction
"All The Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr
"Where The Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens
"The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah

Nonfiction
"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand
"Educated" by Tara Westover
"Hillbilly Elegy" by J.D. Vance
"Between The World And Me" by Ta-Nehisi Coates
"The Pioneers" by David McCullough (or actually anything by David McCullough)

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:18 pm

Did you like "Hillbilly Elegy"? It sounds depressing but it sounds like one I should read. My people and all.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:24 pm

Hmmmm. The Raymond Chandler books weren't where I thought they'd be. But I found these. "Hot Dam" sounds good. Hard to go wrong with Salacious Scots and Kidnappers in Kilts.

trashy novels.jpg

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:12 pm

John Q. Public wrote:And I've forgotten most of it so it will all be new again.
One of the few advantages of getting old...I can read No Country For Old Men on the beach every summer and it's always like new \:D/
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:22 pm

John Q. Public wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:18 pm
Did you like "Hillbilly Elegy"? It sounds depressing but it sounds like one I should read. My people and all.
Loved it. It should be depressing, but it's actually very uplifting.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:28 pm

MDDad wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:43 pm
Shifty, you are very ambitious. I set my annual goal at 20
I should say that about 1/3 to almost half are audiobooks. I painted my entire house while listening to Sapiens.

Also, I listened to The Hidden Life of Trees WHILE trimming my orange tree. Talk about immersion reading.
Last edited by ShiftyMutt on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:41 pm

JQP, don’t forget the old fashioned library. Though I use the OC Library app (Libby) to download books. Both audio and ebooks. Free is always good, no regrets.

I do have problems with focus sometimes with audiobooks, depends on the story and narrator. I usually get more out of print or ebooks.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:17 pm

By the way.. I read earlier today that Hillbilly Elegy is going to be a Netflix movie. Guess I better read it!

J. D. Vance’s Hillbilly Elegy is a celebrated memoir that shares the story of a white working class family in Ohio’s Rust Belt, their struggles with poverty, and the loss of their American Dream. Featuring world-class director Ron Howard at the helm, this Netflix project is hoping to garner a few highly-acclaimed awards. The cast is equally impressive, with Amy Adams, Haley Bennett (The Girl on the Train), Glenn Close, and Gabriel Basso (Super 8) starring.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:59 pm

I've never listened to an audiobook but yeah, if I can be doing something else while I listen, I would and I'd probably miss whole sections of it. I'm much better with old-fashioned printed material.

The Foreign Babe probably reads a couple books a week and she gets most of hers from the Newport Library, both print and e-. No idea what she reads but she's always reading something.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:31 pm

I’ve not read it but now my interest is piqued.

“A 1981 book by Dean Koontz predicts a deadly bacteriological weapon called “Wuhan-400”
Attachments
6837A7E8-454C-403D-ADC3-6216945EAF1B.jpeg

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:05 pm

Wow .. :shock: this is from the book mentioned above.
Attachments
6A460DB1-7996-4D83-B9A4-4BBEF24BE51E.jpeg
2E523A00-5491-4D72-8048-9D3E7FEE46C7.jpeg