Joe’s VP

ShiftyMutt

Joe’s VP

Post by ShiftyMutt » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:47 am

He needs someone really dynamic that can boost the energy. As much as I would love to see a woman take that spot, the only one I see that can raise that energy is Stacey Abrams but she hasn’t got the experience to feel like she would be a strong president (if something should happened to Joe).
At this point I’m seeing the VP as someone who can over take the top spot without a hitch. Kamala? Not sure..
but right now I can think of a few men that have proven their character in rough times.

Was Joe’s commitment to having a woman VP too premature?

Ideally, a woman - absolutely. But Dems can’t lose this solely over identity politics.. I’m starting to worry.

Obama as VP would be a hoot =D>

BostonDave

Re: Joe’s VP

Post by BostonDave » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:18 am

I understand the politics of him pledging a woman running mate, even while recognizing it being a mistake. But he had to throw the progressive wing a bone and that's it. He still needs to tread carefully. We can't affford to scare away the swings/mods/inds right now. Give them a reason or excuse to stick with Traitor. We need them right now.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:47 pm

He needs someone really dynamic that can boost the energy

Agree 100%. He committed early to a woman to fend off Bernie, and now he's locked in I'm afraid.

The WP's & CNN's combined current takes on the horserace:

1. Kamala Harris
2. MI Gov. Gretchen Whitmer
3. Amy Klobuchar
4. Nevada Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto
5. Elizabeth Warren
6. Tammy Duckworth
7. Tammy Baldwin
8. Florida House member Val Demings
9. Stacey Abrams
10. NM Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham
11. Susan Rice

I can live with Harris, she's smart, tough and a good debater...not afraid to mix it up
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:52 pm

Harris might be good. She could be the attack dog he needs and seems reluctant to be. She's good at that I think. I wouldn't mind Warren or Klobuchar. Don't like Duckworth. Like Abrams but don't think she'd be a wise choice right now. Rice is too polarizing. No need to give them ammo.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:57 am

I'm rather fond of Rep. Katie Porter.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:10 am

So is California. Rookie or not, she could be a good candidate to replace Harris. But her House district isn't solidly blue, but it is leaning that way at this particular point in time.

Thinking strategically, I'd guess Harris, Abrams or Demings. Or Whitmer or Warren, depending on the likelihood of a D replacing them in their current positions.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:01 am

Katie Porter is a badass with a lit personality. Love her.

My only reserve on Kamala is when looking back at her support she didn’t seem to energize her crowd. Warren did better at that and went farther. But I think under the circumstance Kamala would work better.

Oh I don’t know.. I’m tossed.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:59 pm

My only reserve on Kamala is when looking back at her support she didn’t seem to energize her crowd

You're referring to her Democratic crowd? The only ones to do that were Sanders and Warren because of the nature of their support. Not going to be an issue in the general - those people are going to turn out to vote against trump regardless.

In the general you need a VP whom people, especially swing and crossover voters, trust can take over the reins if the need arises...and how old is Joe B again?

That's where Harris has a big leg up on her rivals...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:21 am

I meant democrat crowd. Warren and Amy went farther.

I think Warren or Amy would be better prepared to take over if something happened to Joe. Both with far more experience than Kamala. I’m good with Kamala, she was my first choice but at this point I think it’s a double down on identity politics. She needs to be able to get the support of the south and minorities.

With Obama out and campaigning, I think he will be the spark and fuel needed - not so much Joe or Kamala.

broman

Post by broman » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:09 pm

That women from Michigan... Gretchen Whitmer

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:48 pm

All good choices. Whomever it turns out to be I want Biden to take his time with it, there's no rush to announce
George Will

Donald Trump

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:10 pm

I like Harris, but I agree with Shifty about her not energizing folks. She would be marvelous in a debate against Pence, though.

Good to see I have a lot of company in the Katie Porter fan club. Too soon for her. The Senate is next for her, I think.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Wed May 20, 2020 6:47 am

And the pick is?

‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

broman

Post by broman » Wed May 20, 2020 6:59 am

Whitmar or Klobuchar. Kamala and Abrams for high level cabinet positions.

broman

Post by broman » Wed May 20, 2020 7:00 am

Tommy, who the heck is that guy?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed May 20, 2020 7:59 am

Why is that bad news?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Wed May 20, 2020 10:29 am

What about Val Demings?
I don't know a lot of details about her but she looks solid. And she would give Joe the edge with Florida and black voters. Retired law enforcement might bring in moderates, already holds office.
For some, you'd have to think of the vacancy they're leaving behind and how it might fill too.

I feel like Liz Warren deserves the position over the rest but I'm not sure "deserving" is part of Joe's need.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 am

At this point though, it shouldn't be this hard of a descision.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed May 20, 2020 3:45 pm

Helping with election turnout is front and center for now, but a factor people might be overlooking is picking someone people can see as President if Biden (78 in Nov.) for whatever reason doesn't finish his term. That cost McCain big time in '08...
George Will

Donald Trump

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Wed May 20, 2020 6:40 pm

I’d say that would be Liz. Maaaaaybe Kamala.