Why Should We Return To Normal?

ShiftyMutt

Why Should We Return To Normal?

Post by ShiftyMutt » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:51 am

We've had the best air quality in years, far less traffic accidents - so less strain on hospitals. Far less traffic. Less stress on our infrastructure. Cheaper insurance premiums. More pet adoptions.

Why not just have people that CAN work from home - work from home. We have to ability to do it and save our environment.
Why go back to "normal"?

BostonDave

Re: Wy Should We Return To Normal?

Post by BostonDave » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:14 am

I'll never be the same again. It's a part of my subconscious now. It should be a part of everyone's subconcious now. I'm keenly aware of space and touching **** now. Of course it will fade with time but I'm positive it will never completely fade away. I'll never return to normal.

Some of these temporary emergency measures have indeed been good. Working from home has always been a great idea with some job classifications. No reason that should go away completely afterwards.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:50 am

One of my first thoughts of remote work is Telemedicine. This should take off I hope. Nothing like catching something from a waiting room when you're just there as a check-in that don't require physical presence.

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:15 pm

Yes, lot of sickness in medical facilities.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:55 pm

Normal changes with time...remember what the airport routine and boarding a plane was like just a few years ago?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:05 pm

Yes, we're seeing normal change and shift right before our eyes with Traitor. The next POTUS will have to work to get things back to normal. But this idiot has stretched and strained our system to breaking. The complete break will be coming soon enough. Regarding him we need to reject most of his new normal. New normals can actually be good sometimes. We need legislation to tighten up a few things also. I mean who knew it wasn't illegal to actually collude with a hostile foreign government? I certainly thought it was. But apparently not. You can call a meeting with members from a foreign government for a meeting to help your campaign win an election. There needs to be a whole slate of changes made. And especially if Traitor starts winning some of the egregious cases he's got headed to the SCOTUS. They will settle his taxes situation and a few other things he has litigated about. If the court obviously partisanly rules for him we need to them make legislation to fix it. Right now this idiot is exposing many and numerous holes and oversights in our system. In our system we have no mechanism for physically remove a POTUS from office and physically dunp him on the WH lawn. Certainly nothing codified anywhere. The Framer didn['t envision a wannabe dictator with absolutely no scruples, who is as corruot as the day is long. We are kind of like at his mercy legally because nothing has been codified for any such instance, If he were loss the election but clain voting fraud that he and his administration only can fix then what happens then.? There could be a situation where we have two presidents. Which is the right one? What's the mechanism for removing the imposter?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:14 pm

Election Day is set by federal law. This year it is Nov. 3. It would take an act of Congress to change it, and House Democrats are not going to sign off on a change. Second, the terms of the president and vice president expire at noon on Jan. 20, 2021. Period. No matter what. If no president and vice president have been selected according to law by then, the normal rules of succession kick in. If the House has elected a new Speaker, he or she becomes president.

The GOP will move heaven and Earth if there is a possibility Pelosi could be president.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:59 pm

What happens if a POTUS refuses to leave? Who removes him? Marines? Where is that codified? Point being it's not. There is nothing covering the circumstance. There are some who are cult followers. No reason to think that doesn't extend to the military, the police, jurists, secret service, Air Force, Navy, generals, admirals.....So again there is nothing codified that covers it. We're wide open. "I cannot obey an order to remove my commander-in-chief. And I'm afraid I can't allow you to do so either".

Vilepagan

Re: Why Should We Return To Normal?

Post by Vilepagan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:54 am

BostonDave wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:59 pm
What happens if a POTUS refuses to leave? Who removes him? Marines?
If it came to that I would guess Federal Marshalls.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:49 am

Wabash wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:14 pm
If no president and vice president have been selected according to law by then, the normal rules of succession kick in. If the House has elected a new Speaker, he or she becomes president.
Ya got a citation for that? The 20th Amendment says the decision falls to Congress but nothing beyond that. And I've never heard of any law that covers a president refusing to leave.

Funny how we've always thought our system was so solid but now we're finding out, because we have a president who has none, that much of it is only based on the honor system.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:07 am

BostonDave wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:59 pm
What happens if a POTUS refuses to leave? Who removes him? Marines?
Secret Service.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:10 am

The 20th Amendment states;
Section 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.
Since no election has been held, the line of succession takes effect.

This article gives a pretty good synopsis of the process and potential scenarios.

Can Trump Cancel the November Election

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:40 am

The Amendment doesn't say that. Is there a law that does? And who, exactly, is "Congress?" Article 1 defines it as both houses.
Section 3.
If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:35 am

So the term ends. What happens if there are no successors? Where is it codified? That's been my point. The Framers kind of left us a bit naked here. Seems they assumed the people holding the office would be honorable people and act honorably. This guy wouldn't know honor if it smacked him in the ass and came out through his nostrils.

The Framers relied too heavily on "We The People" as final arbiter. I guess that's true to a point. It just so happens there are millions of people who seem to've lost their ever lovin' minds right now, with no checks from Congress, or at least none from the Senate. So far the judiciary has held up, although I look with deep suspicion at our highest court now. But we'll see soon enough regarding that.

The Framers weren't explicit. I think we can all agree on that. It's all implication, inference and relying on a normal clean honorable above-board system operating the way it's supposed to. Normal has left the barn and galloped away.

His ex-lawyer Cohen said in what was almost something like a deathbed warning/confession when he said this ******* will never voluntarily reliquish power. I for one completely believe him.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:18 pm

BostonDave wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:35 am
So the term ends. What happens if there are no successors? Where is it codified?
As far as I know, the only codification is the 20th Amendment. I think anything beyond what it says would require another amendment. And it sounds to me like the House and the Senate would have to arm wrestle to see who succeeds the president. In the current situation, the House would probably say Biden and the Senate would probably stick with Trump. Maybe they'd compromise on Pence. Or, as is Republicans' history lately, they'd probably say Trump take it or leave it and accuse the Dems of not compromising.

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:52 pm

I just skimmed what the 22nd entails. That'd be a stopper for him for sure. But if we got to that that horse that went galloping down the street will have been dead by then. That's assuming of course that he does do some real flukey **** this coming election. Of course I'm assuming he will because I'm also assuming he will lose this coming election. No way he takes losing fair and square. I really and honestly don't see him doing it. His mental disorder(s) are too extreme. A part of an extreme narcissist is they cannot take rejection. That would be quite a rejection of him that would shatter his already fragile psyche. He'll try to, or most certainly want to, do something crazy if it looks like he will be defeated.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:21 pm

I take some solace in the fact that he's too vain to wear a mask...I can dream, can't I?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:05 pm

Ya, I've come to the feeling he could fall in a vat of pig **** and come out smelling like a rose. He just strikes me as someone who's lived a charmed life. I think an old saying goes something like god protects babies and idiots. He's one of the idiots.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:07 pm

So if there was not a national election, everyone up for federal office would be out of a job at noon of January 20th. In order of succession after Trump is gone: Pence gone, Pelosi gone. Next in line is Chuck Grassley--currently. However due to the number of Republicans who are up for reelection the Democrats would control the Senate and elect a new President Pro Tempore, and he would become the new President of the United States. Given he's the current minority leader, that could be Chuck Schumer.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:10 pm

Not sure why you assert that Pelosi holds a federal office...why do you differentiate between House members and Senators?
George Will

Donald Trump