Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says

Wabash

Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says

Post by Wabash » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:46 am

The NY Times is reporting.
WASHINGTON — American intelligence officials have concluded that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces in Afghanistan — including targeting American troops — amid the peace talks to end the long-running war there, according to officials briefed on the matter.

The United States concluded months ago that the Russian unit, which has been linked to assassination attempts and other covert operations in Europe intended to destabilize the West or take revenge on turncoats, had covertly offered rewards for successful attacks last year.

Islamist militants, or armed criminal elements closely associated with them, are believed to have collected some bounty money, the officials said. Twenty Americans were killed in combat in Afghanistan in 2019, but it was not clear which killings were under suspicion.
Putin knows he can get away with this because he has a lapdog in the Oval Office that will do nothing.

Putting down cash for killing American soldiers definitely takes this to a new level. It’s the kind of action a Russian leader would only take if he believed his counterpart in Washington was exceptionally weak, or completely under his control. Maybe Putin can explain it … when Trump invites him over in the fall.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

broman

Re: Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says

Post by broman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:18 am

Trump and large segments of conservatives love the tanks, airplanes, uniforms, flags, and the symbolism of the military. They also believe that the poor and lower middle class folks who sign up are nothing but cannon fodder.

Vilepagan

Re: Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:30 am

Wabash wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:46 am
Putting down cash for killing American soldiers definitely takes this to a new level. It’s the kind of action a Russian leader would only take if he believed his counterpart in Washington was exceptionally weak, or completely under his control.
A new level? Really? Do you suppose the CIA did anything similar when the Russians invaded Afghanistan? How about when we gave the Mujahadeen Stinger missles, was that a "new level"?

IMO, your analysis is way off.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:33 am

I really do not care about what our side did while they were there.

I care about the men and women from our country serving in good faith.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:16 am

Russia doing that is almost to be expected. The crime is with all the Americans who knew about it and chose not to do anything. That extends way beyond just Trump.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:18 pm

Well, to be fair how do we know that we're not doing anything?

I think we should find out but let's wait until we do before we criticize.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Wabash wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:33 am
I really do not care about what our side did while they were there.

I care about the men and women from our country serving in good faith.
Odd, I thought you were concerned that Putin perceived weakness in Trump or has him under his control.

broman

Post by broman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:28 pm

Trump interview from June 3

KILMEADE: The word is you want to invite Vladimir Putting to the G7 meeting. Let's say it's in September. What has he done to earn back the trust of the free world? He hasn't left the Ukraine. He hasn't left Georgia..... Creates havoc in Venezuela. He doesn't -- do you see where he deserves this respect?

Trump: Yes, well look. You know, he helped us with the oil industry, which was good for him, too. But we got it up, and now we're going to save millions of jobs in Texas and North Dakota and other places, Oklahoma with millions of jobs.

Trump: So we have a G7. He's not there. Half of the meeting is devoted to Russia, and if he was there, it'd be much easier to solve. He used to be. It used to be the G8, and Obama got taken over to the cleaners. I mean, Obama had his pockets picked, and as you know Putin did something that he shouldn't have done because he didn't respect Obama perhaps.

Trump: The problem is many of the things that we talk about are about Putin, so we're just sitting around wasting time because then you have to finish your meeting and somebody has to call Putin or deal with Putin on different things. And I say have him in the room. Have him in the room. It used to be the G8 from a kind -- and I don't say deserving or non-deserving. I say common sense. Get things done. I want to have a nuclear pact that's a safe nuclear because nuclear is the single biggest problem the world has, single biggest problem --
https://radio.foxnews.com/2020/06/03/pr ... eade-show/

Even with knowledge of what the Russians were doing in Afghanistan, Trump still publicly wishes to bring Russia back on par with our Allies.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:56 pm

Vilepagan wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:18 pm
I think we should find out but let's wait until we do before we criticize.
When it is proven that is the case, I will happily retract.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:57 pm

Vilepagan wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:21 pm
Odd, I thought you were concerned that Putin perceived weakness in Trump or has him under his control.
Then I guess you do not know me.

broman

Post by broman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:22 pm

Never mind, Nobody told anybody anything......

The White House denied Saturday that President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence had been briefed on an intelligence finding that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill American troops and other coalition forces in Afghanistan.

“The United States receives thousands of intelligence reports a day, and they are subject to strict scrutiny,” White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in a statement.

While the White House does not routinely comment on intelligence or internal deliberations, “the CIA Director, National Security Advisor, and the Chief of Staff can all confirm that neither the President nor the Vice President were briefed on the alleged Russian bounty intelligence,” McEnany said.

McEnany said her statement “does not speak to the merit of the alleged intelligence but to the inaccuracy of the New York Times story erroneously suggesting that President Trump was briefed on this matter.” --:--
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 272352001/

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:49 am

Wabash wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:56 pm
When it is proven that is the case, I will happily retract.
When what's proven to be the case?

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:52 am

Wabash wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:57 pm
Then I guess you do not know me.
I guess I know what you wrote...did you forget posting the following nonsense?

"It’s the kind of action a Russian leader would only take if he believed his counterpart in Washington was exceptionally weak, or completely under his control."

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:14 am

Nope. Did not forget at all.

You seem very angry lately.

Are you okay?

broman

Post by broman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:04 am

Everybody= Russia and the Taliban
How many attacks are acceptable?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:14 am

Meadows wasn't COS at the time, Don.

Congress has been unusually quiet on this - both sides, nobody on the intelligence committees, nobody defending and only a couple attacking. What's up with that?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:55 am

:iknow:
Attachments
106096208_4766937476650526_4211913217280216887_n.jpg

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:16 am

broman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:22 pm
Never mind, Nobody told anybody anything......
Never believe anything till it has been officially denied.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:45 am

Trump's installed team is suggesting one of only two possible scenarios. One, that those surrounding Trump and Pence did not feel a high-level Russian espionage operation directly promoting the murder of U.S. troops was worth White House attention.

Or two, the U.S. intelligence community was intentionally hiding information about the Russian operation from Trump and Pence. That would be an astonishing choice, and would suggest that intelligence officials believed there were national security reasons to keep Trump and Pence in the dark about just how much the U.S. knew about Russian operations.

The Director of National Intelligence is either suggesting that Trump and Pence are such impotent figures that his office did not bother to alert them or discuss with them a Russian plot to murder Americans, or that his office believed telling Trump about the Russian scheme would itself compromise U.S. security. Both of those possibilities are alarming.

At the end of March, Trump and Putin spoke by phone five times in three weeks, an "unprecedented" level of communications; the White House, as usual, has concealed the contents of those calls.

Trump's own denials are scattershot and ridiculous. In a petulant pair of tweets Trump proclaimed that "Nobody briefed or told me, @VP Pence, or Chief of Staff @MarkMeadows about the so-called attacks on our troops in Afghanistan by Russians, as reported through an “anonymous source” by the Fake News @nytimes," before wandering off to attack Hunter Biden again.

broman

Post by broman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:03 pm

John Q. Public wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:14 am
Congress has been unusually quiet on this - both sides, nobody on the intelligence committees, nobody defending and only a couple attacking. What's up with that?
In a statement in response to questions, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader, said he had long warned about Russia’s work to undermine American interests in the Middle East and southwest Asia and noted that he wrote an amendment last year rebuking Mr. Trump’s withdrawal of forces from Syria and Afghanistan.

“The United States needs to prioritize defense resources, maintain a sufficient regional military presence and continue to impose serious consequences on those who threaten us and our allies — like our strikes in Syria and Afghanistan against ISIS, the Taliban and Russian mercenary forces that threatened our partners,” Mr. McConnell said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/us/p ... trump.html

Where is the public rebuke of Trumps bring Russia back into the G7?