Black/white

cruiser

Black/white

Post by cruiser » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:10 am

The AP states that it will now upper case the word, "Black" when it refers to race,
while the word, "white" will remain lower case when referred to race. Thoughts?

ShiftyMutt

Re: Black/white

Post by ShiftyMutt » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:39 am

The purpose?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:47 am

They must be doing it because they hate white people.

What other reason is there?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:10 am

Correction: The AP says they haven't made a decision on "white." Or "White" if you prefer.
The Associated Press changed its writing style guide Friday to capitalize the “b” in the term Black when referring to people in a racial, ethnic or cultural context, weighing in on a hotly debated issue.

The change conveys “an essential and shared sense of history, identity and community among people who identify as Black, including those in the African diaspora and within Africa,” John Daniszewski, AP’s vice president of standards, said in a blog post Friday. “The lowercase black is a color, not a person.”

The news organization will also now capitalize Indigenous in reference to original inhabitants of a place.

Daniszewski said the revisions aligned with long-standing identifiers such as Latino, Asian American and Native American. He said the decision followed more than two years of research and debate among AP journalists and outside groups and thinkers.

“Our discussions on style and language consider many points, including the need to be inclusive and respectful in our storytelling and the evolution of language,” he wrote. “We believe this change serves those ends.”

The AP said it expects to make a decision within a month on whether to capitalize the term white. Among the considerations are what that change might mean outside the United States.

https://apnews.com/71386b46dbff8190e71493a763e8f45a
The style guide is about clarity and common usage, not racial superiority. More interesting to me is that they don't hyphenate "Asian American." And they don't require an Oxford comma, so what do they know?

If you want to complain about a style guide, let's talk about the New Yorker's. That bit about spelling out all numbers is just weird.
Don't look at me, I just work here.