Could the Kyle Rittenhouse case threaten the Second Amendment?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Could the Kyle Rittenhouse case threaten the Second Amendment?

Post by John Q. Public »

Kyle Rittenhouse's attorney has announced that he'll be using the militia clause as his defense. I'm wondering if that might be a much bigger Can-O-Worms than he wants to open.

Of course he'd have to lose and appeal for it to go anywhere, but originalists - maybe even textualists - would be hard pressed to agree that that's what the Founders were talking about.

Methinks it might be better for gun fans if he eats the "underage" and "crossing state lines" issues and pleads self-defense.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Vilepagan

Re: Could the Kyle Rittenhouse case threaten the Second Amendment?

Post by Vilepagan »

They're saying now that the rifle didn't cross state lines, it was given to him by someone in WI...I want to know who.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Somebody should tell his lawyer about Miranda.
rittenhouse lawyer.jpg
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

One of the arguments used by the NRA types is that law abiding citizens do not commit crimes with firearms.

Yet we have someone who broke numerous laws to the point of being a suspect in a multiple homicide and he is being praised as a hero by those same NRA types.

He clearly went looking for trouble.

--:--
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Vilepagan wrote:They're saying now that the rifle didn't cross state lines, it was given to him by someone in WI...I want to know who.
If true ( :roll: ), that "someone" broke the law and would almost certainly be charged as an accessory to whatever crimes Rittenhouse ends up being charged with
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Where did these people find their lawyers??? That claim might clear his mother of one charge but would probably add two others. For both of them.
ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt »

Had he not already shot and killed someone, he’d likely not even been noticed.

I don’t feel like is is much different than a classmate trying to tackle a school shooter.