RIP "alt-right"

John Q. Public
Site Admin

RIP "alt-right"

Post by John Q. Public »

From "Conservative" site, The Bulwark:
Remember the alt-right? The sludge of white supremacists, misogynists, neo-Nazis, and various chauvinists leaked out of the putrid corners of the internet in the years leading up to Donald Trump’s election. Although their various hatreds, grievances, and conspiracy theories were old, they saw themselves as something new. Their very name placed them in opposition to the status quo. They weren’t the American right, the coalition that included politicians like then-House Speaker Paul Ryan and Sens. Jeff Flake and John McCain, as well as the Wall Street Journal editorial board and the intellectuals in the conservative think tanks and magazines. No, they were the blood-and-soil, tiki-torches-and-khakis alternative.

The one new thing about the alt-right, apart from its embrace of internet anonymity as a modern-day successor to the Klan hood, was its leaders. There was Alex Jones, the conspiracy theorist proprietor of InfoWars, famous for his concern over gay frogs, and Richard Spencer, a neo-Nazi provocateur known for getting punched. For those who preferred stronger flavors, there was Nick Fuentes, a Holocaust denier and self-described “Campus Conservative,” and Milo Yiannopoulos, who mixed white nationalism with defenses of pedophilia. The chief impresario was Steve Bannon, who made the website he took over, Breitbart, into a “platform for the alt-right.”

That was then. By its own definition, the alt-right is no more. Because it’s no longer an alternative to the right. It is the right.

https://thebulwark.com/the-alt-right-is ... ire-right/
Don't look at me, I just work here.
joefutbol

Re: RIP "alt-right"

Post by joefutbol »

They called Steve Bannon the "chief impresario" but mentioned probably the mildest thing he's done. Things were trending this way anyway, and history tells us it's not abnormal. But Bannon accelerated it and amplified it beyond anything it would have ever become. He is the reason we're where we are today, and this is the first time I've seen his name mentioned in over a week.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

wrote:Because it’s no longer an alternative to the right. It is the right.
Not sure I would go quite that far...I would say that it's certainly established itself as the most vocal and aggressive faction of the right

After the utter mess of these past few months we now get to see if the "old guard" can mount a response and take back the party...or, if this is indeed the "new normal". I think we'll know soon...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Remember that the article was written by a mainstream, normal, old-school, Reagan, Conservative, whatever you want to call it Republican who's come to the realization that people like him have become the minority in the party they dominated just a few years ago.

Here's a poll taken after the riot that demonstrates it. Just one in five Republicans agree with him that Trump isn't doing a good job. Almost 3/4 think he's doing just fine or great. It isn't the small-government, lower-taxes, states rights or even the corporations are more important than people party anymore. The extremist fringe has become the majority.

Don't look at me, I just work here.