California HS Football is back!

redblue42

California HS Football is back!

Post by redblue42 »

Who will be a sleeper team? Who will win it all? Which team will take a step back? How is the Trinity League looking?
Kuppster

Re: California HS Football is back!

Post by Kuppster »

so what's the decision here? Or is there some sort of catch here? When can games begin?
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Heavily edited, but here's the gist per Sondy@LATIMES:

New California Sports Guidelines to Allow Football in Many Counties Starting Feb. 26
By ERIC SONDHEIMER
FEB. 19, 2021 9:46 AM PT

The California Department of Public Health released its much-anticipated youth sports update Friday after weeks of talks with coaches and CIF officials while seeing a major decline in coronavirus cases, clearing the way for high school football and other outdoor sports to resume on Feb. 26...

The CDPH announced that high-contact sports such as football, field hockey, rugby and water polo, with participants ages 13 and older, can be played in counties with an adjusted daily case rate of 14.0 or fewer per 100,000 population, along with regular weekly testing for athletes and coaches. L.A. County, though, currently has a case rate of 17.6 per 100,000, and its teams would not qualify...

Either antigen or PCR testing will be required for all participants and coaches. The state will work with schools to connect them with testing sites, particularly public schools in the hardest-hit communities...

“We’ve been looking at data and science. We are now confident with new guidelines we can get youth sports running again,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a news conference Friday. He added the state will help absorb the costs of testing. When it comes to indoor sports, Newsom said, “That’s a separate conversation and more complicated”...

The updated guidance will allow outdoor, high-contact sports in counties in the more-restrictive purple and red tiers if they meet the case-rate requirements...

The biggest reason schools now have a chance to play football and other sports is the steep drop in transmission rates. As of Tuesday, case rates in 47 of the state’s 58 counties had fallen enough to allow some level of classroom instruction. The key metric now is getting to the red tier, where the seven-day average of coronavirus cases is 4.0 to 7.0 per 100,000. The purple tier includes counties with more than 7.0 daily cases per 100,000...

Football originally was to be allowed only in counties in the orange tier, with daily case rates of 1.0 to 3.9 per 100,000. Most counties would not qualify under that requirement by March, when football games need to begin so they can finish by the CIF’s end date of April 17...

https://www.latimes.com/sports/highscho ... -component
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

It looks like a "likely maybe."

Don't look at me, I just work here.
redblue42

Post by redblue42 »

Omar Bongo wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:41 pm L.A. County, though, currently has a case rate of 17.6 per 100,000, and its teams would not qualify
Does this mean Bosco can not play in the trinity league games?
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

redblue42 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:13 pm Does this mean Bosco can not play in the trinity league games?
I recall a while back something mentioned about Bosco being willing to take their practices and have all games in other counties if that is what it takes for them to be able to play.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Well **** howdy, wonder if the recall has anything to do with it?
Last edited by John Q. Public on Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rule violation changed
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

More likely it's the steep drop in infections.

But there should be a Super Bowl bump in about 3... 2... 1...
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

It must be nice to trust the politicians, after all they look so honest.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

The people at Johns Hopkins aren't politicians. :foilhat:
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

John Q
The criteria for lesser restrictions in California has changed on multiple occasions. Thanks to the Gov and Dr (who is not a medical doctor) Ferrer not based on science but personal whims. My point is if the Governor was not worried about a possible recall he may very well have changed the criteria again. That based on race there are more kids susceptible to the virus than others, he's done it before. He now must be at least considering he may not have long for the Governor's seat at the table and I am not talking the one at the French Laundry.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

The criteria for lesser restrictions in California has changed on multiple occasions

As knowledge of the virus and conditions on the ground change, so does the response. You would stick your head in a hole and ignore a changing reality?

...not based on science but personal whims

How about at least a shred of evidence to support this ridiculous assertion?

One gets the feeling you've got it in for the Gov. and would find a reason to oppose whatever decisions he makes...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Getting back to football again, What will happen with Bosco if football can start up
in the OC, they obviously can't have any home games, can they even go full bore, pads, hitting, etc., in practice, in LA county now?

Would they have to travel to the OC to practice for basically a league season only.
Would they even be eligible to practice/play in the OC being a LA county team?
Thoughts?
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I'm wondering if they could play if they don't actually live in OC. Seems like it wouldn't matter where you practice and play if you spend far more time in a higher tiered county.
redblue42

Post by redblue42 »

So if Bosco has to practice in OC, where they doing that and how? I think they might regress especially since DJ graduated. Seems like Servite is the only team with an elite QB --:--
Kuppster

Post by Kuppster »

redblue42 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:00 pm So if Bosco has to practice in OC, where they doing that and how?
if this is their only problem, it will be an easy one to solve.
broman

Post by broman »

LA County positivity test rate is 7.2 as of 2/21. Under 8% is in the Red Tier, so Bosco can test and play.
broman

Post by broman »

MDDad

Post by MDDad »

broman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:25 am LA County positivity test rate is 7.2 as of 2/21. Under 8% is in the Red Tier, so Bosco can test and play.
Broman, you're looking at the test positivity rate (i.e. percentage), which is the wrong metric. The correct one is the new cases per 100,000 population, and L.A.County is still over 20. Updated weekly numbers are released every Tuesday, but as of right now, L.A. County still does not qualify.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Rumors say later in March for game 1