What happened to disciplined Mater Dei football teams??

pattywannamack

What happened to disciplined Mater Dei football teams??

Post by pattywannamack »

Just got done watching Mater Dei vs. Servite, and I don't think I've ever seen an MD team commit so many penalties in a game.

There was a noticeable drop in discipline the past couple of years...but this was a pretty ridiculous display by the Monarchs.

I feel like the core coaching staff has been pretty consitent over the years so I'm legitimately curious as to what's causing this change within the Mater Dei program.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
Domingo

Re: What happened to disciplined Mater Dei football teams??

Post by Domingo »

Is this a serious question patty??? Take a look at the team. Can you honestly say this is Mater Dei football team? Thanks for the laugh.
longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver »

Most of the penalties were for Pass Interf----which of all the penalties for football can be strictly a
personal judgement of the referee. Of course there are some that are flagrant and easily called but
also the calls can be the most inconsistent. For instance a very flagrant pass intf was not called
against Servite towards the end of the game which could possibly might have played a big part in the
outcome of the game. Many of the calls against MD were not visible as penalties by what was shown
on TV.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

Sloppy game. I forgot how supremely talented but incredibly undisciplined MD has become over the years. Near the end of the game, I wondered if MD had more yards on offense or penalty yards. If PI calls were spot fouls, they would have had well over 300 yards of penalties. The PI rule in high school is dumb, if you get beat, grab the guy because it’s only a 10 yard penalty instead of a TD.

Servite’s D is outstanding. Great scheme, fast aggressive players. They looked very good for undersized group.

Lost in all of the penalties was MD’s D line. They played great. Lots of talent there.

The MD QB has talent but clearly has one read and then runs but he’s a Freshman and will definitely get better.

Fifita looked pretty average. For someone on this board who claimed that he was the best in the country, he’s not even close. He threw 6+ jump balls that either got dropped or he got bailed out by the MD DB’s holding. T-Mac makes him look very good at times.

Happy that it was a close game. Sad that it was that sloppy.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

If you look "pretty average" against that front seven, you are far from average.
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

longtimeobserver wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:58 pm Most of the penalties were for Pass Interf----which of all the penalties for football can be strictly a
personal judgement of the referee.
True! But I feel like there were numerous offsides, false starts, etc. that felt very unbecoming of an MD team. Last year the program had a particularly big issue with unsporstmanlike conduct and personal foul penalties as well, something that would happen only a few times a season year's past.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Give them time, Patty. Many of these guys haven't been part of the program very long.
TheOldGym

Post by TheOldGym »

longtimeobserver wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:58 pm pass intf was not called
against Servite towards the end of the game which could possibly might have played a big part in the
outcome of the game.
Could might have probably????? LOL

We got lucky that game wasn’t 2 minutes longer.
Sweetness34

Post by Sweetness34 »

Patty - The penalties were unfortunate, what people don't understand - or fail to forget. The two games prior had the least penalties in game for an MD team the last two-three seasons. And the least among of unsportsmanlike and personal fouls for a three game span.

Two have been called this year. One on a late hit on QB - thats part of the game. and questionable at that. The other was off-setting on Domani and TMac for jawing back and forth with each other.

This team is a different group kids than the previous teams - Theres no talking like it was before and if they do, they celebrate among themselves/with team. No one is perfect, and from time to time they're may be a personal foul - but you wont see 3-5 a game as before.

Its too bad the people behind the keyboards don't know these kids..beyond the judgement they see on field. They are all great kids.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Nobody has said anything about the kids or their character. Although, you astutely point out that has indeed been an issue as recently as last season. False starts, holding, jumping offsides, and pass interference likely have very little correlation with the quality of someone's character.

Did someone suggest otherwise?
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

First and foremost I was impressed at the play of Servite, they deserve all the accolades. It will make me shelve the Smurfite quips for a while.
I watched the game on replay yesterday from FoxGo, It has been said many times that a penalty could be called on every play and the refs tried their best to accomplish just that. The crucial plays I watched over and over to find the fouls especially on the call TD run by Raleek and all the pass interference calls. Many were good but some were a little questionable.
The false starts (no excuses) were do to Servite's front line jockeying around and confusing the
MD line and also a lack of season preparation.
All in all it was a good game to be in the stands for and will set the stage for the real season in
August. Best Servite game I have seen in recent memory.
One last thing Fifta is not the best QB in the nation sorry. A lot of the throws went up for grabs.
I hope he is ok he took a savage hit to end the game.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Ballervision has a pretty good video of the game, look at the calls and make up your own minds.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

watchersince68 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:52 am The crucial plays I watched over and over to find the fouls especially on the call TD run by Raleek and all the pass interference calls.
You can't be serious. #10 had so much of the Servite DB's jersey in his hand you couldn't even tell what number he was wearing. That's as egregious and obvious as a hold can be. The alternate reality in which you reside knows no bounds...

dont be that guy

Sweetness34 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:38 pm The two games prior had the least penalties in game for an MD team the last two-three seasons. And the least among of unsportsmanlike and personal fouls for a three game span.
Who did MD play in those two games? JSerra and Olu. Yeah, you don't tend to get a ton of penalties when the other team gives up.

MD's DB's are 7on7 holding machines. When they are allowed to grab and hold all off season in these dumb 7on7 tournaments, this is what you get. All of the other penalties (false starts, offsides, ect.) were likely due to the fact that they hadn't been pressured in their previous games and Servite rattled them.
longtimeobserver

I give credit to the MD Defense for holding Servite to one TD especially after giving up over 200 yds in
penalties. Servite's offense had been their biggest strength in their previous games. I would think that
the Servite MD rivalry on a Saturday night with very few games being played deserve the top official
crew but that was not the case. That was not a top crew.
dont be that guy

The officials were not the problem. Mater Dei was. They were super sloppy. It easily could have been over 300 yards (likely more than their offense provided.)

If a team is that undisciplined, their fans should not complain about the officiating.
longtimeobserver

I want to correct a mistake that I made in stating that Servite was held to one TD--it was two.
I received a phone call as I started writing the post and then took some medication before returning
to complete the post so "messed it up". But the premise of the thought is still there--the extra
yardage they received from the penalties gave them an offensive advantage and kept the MD defense
on the field longer. Please forgive my error!
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

I'm sure that analysis includes the bad calls and missed calls that worked against Servite, right? God forbid anybody take responsibility for their mistakes and poor play... damn referees.
Bigbear

Post by Bigbear »

To anyone interested, Ballervision posted another video of the Servite/MD game, with half of the video dedicated to penalties. I’m not sure if I can post it here.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

They claimed offensive pass interference on Servite was pass interference on Mater Dei. Then the very next play they say a flag was for pass interference on Mater Dei... despite the flag not being thrown for pass interference... or even against Mater Dei.

Having "Ballervision" apparently means you're nearsighted.