A real wonder of urban renewal

John Q. Public
Site Admin

A real wonder of urban renewal

Post by John Q. Public »

Okay, name this town. You'll never get it.
LancasterBoulevard_myantelopevalley.jpg
lancaster-blvd_aerial_tamaraleigh.jpg
Answer in the next post.

Images from the linked article.

Actual photos. Not photoshopped.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Wabash

Re: A real wonder of urban renewal

Post by Wabash »

Santa Monica.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I used to have to go there for work now and then back in the '80's and '90's and it was always either a cold, windy hellscape or a hot, windy hellscape. And if you were walking on this street in particular, it was probably because your car broke down and you were looking for a working pay phone that hadn't been ripped out of its booth.

It's........ Lancaster! Lancaster Blvd. and Sierra Highway, to be exact. Honestagod. Downtown Lancaster. Once the ugly step-sister to Palmdale and home to all manner of desert rats, trash of every imaginable color, and the occasional test pilot. "Blighted" would have been a compliment. Definitely not someplace you'd have gone to on purpose.

What a difference $11.5 million can make! It actually looks... nice. Someplace you might even want to stop in on your next trip to Mojave. And it's even paid for itself.
The City of Lancaster, California, converted a drab, automobile-oriented arterial at the heart of downtown into a lively, pedestrian-friendly center. The nine-block makeover of Lancaster Boulevard has become a regional draw and attracted significant economic development in its first two years.

In a dramatic demonstration of the value of smart streetscape investment, Lancaster spent $11.5 million on a project and, within four years, attracted $130 million in private investment and generated $273 million in economic output, according to estimates by the California Redevelopment Association. Between 2007, the year before revitalization efforts began, and 2012, tax revenues from the downtown area nearly doubled .

Now, downtown Lancaster has 48 new businesses adding 802 permanent jobs and 1,100 construction jobs, according to a recent study. By 2013, three years after project completion, total collisions fell by nearly one third, and injuries among all users decreased by 67 percent.

More than 800 housing units have been built or restored. Street festivals now attract crowds in the tens of thousands. At the 2012 BooLVD Halloween & Harvest Festival, 30,000 people showed up in a city of 156,000. “Never before have we seen such crowds downtown,” says Jason Caudle, deputy city manager. “And this happens regularly.”

https://www.cnu.org/what-we-do/build-gr ... -boulevard
No word on the rest of the city, though. It has had gang and crime problems, but boy, the downtown area looks great now!
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Impressive. Back in the 90's. Mrs. Wabash and I were visiting a college friend of hers who worked for one of the aerospace companies.

We saw the Nutcracker Suite at the Lancaster Performing Arts Center.

It was a nice facility in the mid 90s.

The surrounding area? Not so great.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I'm wondering if there's been any spillover effect for Lancaster Bl. between there and the freeway. It was pretty run down last time I was there.