Human composting may be coming to California

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Human composting may be coming to California

Post by John Q. Public »

I've heard of natural burial (which is also illegal in most states) but I'd never heard of composting. Sounds kind of icky but to each his own, I guess.
(RNS) — Washington, Colorado and Oregon are now among the U.S. states that have legalized the process of converting human bodies into soil, a procedure the Catholic Church said fails to show “respect for the body of the deceased.” Meanwhile, California and New York are seeking to be next in line to allow human composting.

The process for composting a body was introduced by the Seattle-based company Recompose, which is now open for business after the state of Washington legalized the process in 2019. Colorado was the second state to legalize it, followed by Oregon, when Gov. Kate Brown in mid-June signed House Bill 2574 into law.

Here’s how it works: A dead body is broken down through a process known as Natural Organic Reduction by placing the body in a reusable vessel, covering it with wood chips and aerating it, which creates an environment for microbes and essential bacteria. The body, over a span of about 30 days, is fully transformed into soil.

https://religionnews.com/2021/07/12/ami ... n-remains/
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Wabash

Re: Human composting may be coming to California

Post by Wabash »

I am being cremated. I told Mrs. Wabash that just make sure I am REALLY dead.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.

quando omni flunkus, mortati
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Human composting may be coming to California

Post by John Q. Public »

The Foreign Babe said she wants to be braised.

Neither of the current options is especially pretty. But with composting or natural burial you'd at least be contributing back to the ecosystem. But there's just something kind of "wrong" about using Grampa as soil amendment, at least in most cultures.
Don't look at me, I just work here.