Mater Dei v. Duncanville - CA v. TX

RedPillWonderland

Mater Dei v. Duncanville - CA v. TX

Post by RedPillWonderland »

The #1 high school football team in the United States enters the chat a week delayed … as long as everything goes well with these COVID tests.

Mater Dei and Duncanville. “The Game” is finally here. Golden State v. The Lone Star State. “Red Honor” vs. 🟥necks. Here we go 🤞🙏
RedPillWonderland

Re: Mater Dei v. Duncanville - CA v. TX

Good game story here by the streaming service for the matchup, FloSports. Subscription link embedded.
94E91FED-C897-42E1-97A1-7700F9A5EDFD.jpeg
https://www.flofootball.com/articles/71 ... e-in-texas
RedPillWonderland

The stuff being said on Twitter between California and Texas people about this game is predictable but still entertaining 😂

I’ve given a decent amount of detail over the last few months on this board about the hypocrisy of Texas folks trying to allege private schools like Mater Dei have an advantage over big time Texas public HSFB programs due to recruiting and transfers.

Again, when Allen, Duncanville, Westlake and the other Texas powerhouses stop shipping in super prospects to their district schools and $60M publicly-financed football stadiums - from all over the state and as far as Orlando, Florida - maybe then we can talk about “private school advantages.”
MDBoost

Post by MDBoost »

I watched the MD scrimmage and it didn't look good. Defense was OK but offense was really lacking. They looked flat and uninspired. Like after the 2018 IMG and 2019 SJB game. Granted this was a scrimmage, the third-teamers were getting time and Cen10 was pumped, but I just couldn't see anything moving for MD, especially for the supposed top ranked team in the country.

Oline is going to be the big weakness. The only holes that they opened up, the Cen10 defense got through and not the running backs. EB and the receivers also seemed to be on a different page. Defense looked decent, but even they were missing a few too many tackles. It looks like they're missing a spirited leader like Raesjon.

Discipline was also a problem. Lots of penalties and, to top it all off, a bench clearing brawl ended the scrimmage. A couple of cops were out at midfield.

Breaks my heart, but I think Duncanville is taking this one. The lackluster scrimmage, a season opener, 5 games of varsity for the QB, young Oline going against one of the best programs (and defenses) in the country. Not to mention they're going to be playing in freakin' Texas of all places. Abor is going to run right over that inexperienced Oline. I'd be surprised if MD puts up more than 2 TDs.
MDBoost

Post by MDBoost »

interesting tidbits about TX high school rules from Sondy's article https://www.latimes.com/sports/highscho ... lar-season

...Mater Dei has to be prepared to play what ends up being five quarters instead of four. Texas high school football follows NCAA rules with 15-minute quarters. That also means blocking rules are different, with cut blocks allowed and wider hash marks.
RedPillWonderland

MDBoost wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:16 pm Discipline was also a problem. Lots of penalties and, to top it all off, a bench clearing brawl ended the scrimmage. A couple of cops were out at midfield.
You gotta be careful saying things like this here or people will actually believe it was the WWE Royal Rumble out in Corona. There was no “bench clearing brawl.” A Centennial offensive lineman cheap-shotted an MD player after the whistle at the line of scrimmage, on the last play of the scrimmage (a pick 6 thrown by Centennial), it turned into some shoving between a few kids on the field, it was broken up within seconds by coaches and the teammates surrounding them - that was it. The whole thing is available to watch on NFHS Network for anyone curious.

CC had just as many penalties as MD, which is not surprising for a scrimmage where, as you said, a bunch of backups played extended snaps and the refs are also working out their kinks. The Huskies also had just as many penalties against Damien in the portion I saw.
RedPillWonderland

I agree and have been saying since the game was announced that the MD line and Dre Carter in particular will get tested against 5-star DE Omari Abor and the DVille defensive front. But Abor looks like a 17-year-old Lawrence Taylor and would give anyone in high school football a problem. MD’s line does have 2 brand new starters and BJ Tolo at center for the first time (in his 3rd year as a varsity starter) but let’s pump the brakes on calling them a “big weakness” until that is proven to be a fact.

Everyone (including Sondheimer) keeps talking about Texas restrictions like this game is going to be played on a 120 yard field in Calgary Alberta under Australian rules. Cut blocking and wider hash marks are not going to flummox MD’s players and coaches, nor hold them to 2 touchdowns or make Elijah Brown curl into the fetal position. Duncanville will have to manage that. They used the same rules last season when DVille got blasted 41-14 by IMG in Dallas. Now if MD has to leave some key players home in CA, that’s a different story …

By the way, #2 IMG had its struggles two days ago with south Florida powerhouse American Heritage before pulling away in a scrimmage. If that were organized the same way, might have been hearing these same whispers about IMG as well. (Florida HS football scrimmages are full blown games for all intents and purposes except the standings. Score kept, 4 quarters, full uniforms and gear, no coaches on the field, cheerleaders, bands, fans, everything but an official W/L).

I must not have watched the same MD scrimmage, because I didn’t see a sorry-looking, disorganized group of mangy hounds out there. Matt Logan’s words: “[Mater Dei’s] defense is amazing.”

That’s a bit better than decent. I actually wish it was a real game at this point based on the social media reaction and all the shoving and flexing and woofing the Huskies did trying to antagonize the #1 team in the country. They looked equipped to play a real game to me, and they looked ready to play from a football perspective. If COVID didn’t intervene I’d have liked to see if they could compete with MD full go for 48 minutes, after getting humiliated the last 2 times they faced the Monarchs in a real game. Shoot, I may just be underestimating the ironclad correlation between scrimmages with no scoreboard and actual real games, but somehow after watching this one I don’t feel like the Duncanville Panthers are going to claw MD’s eyes out. But that’s just me, could be wrong and JR Ewing could be cheering in heaven after this one on Friday night lol
MDBoost

Post by MDBoost »

Young Oline and QB in the first game of the season against the Dville D on the road and in that Texas humidity. The good thing is that the Dville QB is new, but they also have a strong Oline and coaching. MD won't get slaughtered. I just don't think they'll come out on top, even if they don't lose any key players to COVID.

And of course, a scrimmage isn't the same as a game, but players are still motivated more than a practice. The offensive play I saw at the scrimmage was lackluster against a Centennial team that has the lowest ranking in a decade. Missed targets and didn't get the ball off well because of pressure.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

Stop! I know that we are trying to get worked up for a TX v CA match-up but MD will win this game by 3 or 4 TD's. They are 2 or 3 deep at every position and are better at nearly every position versus Duncanville.

The only thing keeping this from being 50 point beatdown will be officiating. There is no way local officials are going to let a Texas team get that embarrassed on a national stage. MD will get 4-5 holding calls after long gains and a couple of PI calls on D to keep the score respectable.
RedPillWonderland

Flight scheduled for Thursday afternoon🤞

RedPillWonderland

A game preview to chew on while you debate that $149.99 annual subscription to FloSports.

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster »

I would be absolutely stunned if Duncanville loses by less than 2 td's and thats giving them credit for the home field.

Can't wait to watch it. Just hope this Flo network doesnt make it challenging.
RedPillWonderland

Combined records the last 5 seasons: Duncanville 61-8, Mater Dei 59-3 (Monarchs could have reached as many as 68 wins with a full 2020 season).

Maxpreps nuggets from interview with Rollo today:

- Rollinson was pleased with his team's play in the scrimmage against Centennial and that there were no major injuries. "I'll be indebted to (Centennial) coach Logan for getting that scrimmage in," Rollinson said. "I really didn't want to go into Texas without our younger guys never even had made any full contact."

- Mater Dei's travel party to Texas is 95, including 64 players, along with coaches, support staff and administrators. A cheer and song squad is also accompanying the team. Mater Dei's girls volleyball team also is in Texas this week playing in an Austin tournament starting Tuesday. "The hardest part is leaving kids home," Rollinson said. "We've had kids in the program four years we can't take with us. We can only take so many otherwise we'd be checking in kids at the airport all day."

- Rollinson said the team tested for COVID-19 on Monday morning, and now "we're keeping our fingers crossed." Scattered Monday morning results were all negative, he said, and they'll continue to filter in through Tuesday morning. "Frankly, it's nerve-racking," Rollinson said.

- The Monarchs plan three regular days of practice at home before a Thursday walk through and noon flight for Dallas. They hope to tour the Cowboys' AT&T Stadium on Friday morning before the game later that night at Duncanville.
RedPillWonderland

Kuppster wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:34 pm I would be absolutely stunned if Duncanville loses by less than 2 td's and thats giving them credit for the home field.
What I don’t get is how some point out Mater Dei’s perceived weaknesses and DVille’s strengths, and the 7 points or so that the skewed officiating and home field will be worth, but fail to acknowledge that MD also has advantages all over the field.

Who from Duncanville is going to cover CJ Williams? Do they have a plan for all the ways Dave Money is going to use Raleek Brown? What advantage exactly does the DVille offense have over Mater Dei’s defense? If they only scored 14 against IMG last fall, why would they be expected to top that against this Mater Dei defense if it’s at full strength?
RedPillWonderland

This game is even bringing enemies together for the greater good 😂

🌴/ 🤠
MDBoost

Post by MDBoost »

This isn't the same as IMG last year. IMG had an experienced line and QB and was mid-season before they played in TX.

Sure MD has more advantages, but the rust showed the other day and the intangibles are not in their favor. I'm not a coach and can't tell you specifics how to beat MD (and I want MD to win more than anything), but they could take a page from Harlow's book in 2015 when he threw all blitzes at an inexperienced line and QB. It just takes a few turnovers and wet hands like Bosco in 2019. Or an Abor pulling the Dline equivalent of a 2016 Wyatt Davis. Maybe pull a couple of trick plays like MD did vs IMG in 2018.

What I don't get is how everyone thinks MD is going to dog walk them. I'm sure that's what most people thought versus 2019 Bosco part 2 also.
RedPillWonderland

RedPillWonderland wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:33 am Duncanville Head Coach Reggie Samples is a Dallas area high school coaching legend, dating back to his first year at Dallas Lincoln HS in 1990.
Good feature here about Duncanville coach Reggie Samples’ massive Dallas-area coaching tree, and about the 2019 USA Today national coach of the year being 2 wins away from making some important Texas high school coaching history:

RedPillWonderland

Ok then. Rock and Roll Baby

247CD3A5-0228-4365-AAC3-638625684982.gif
247CD3A5-0228-4365-AAC3-638625684982.gif (936.22 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Daforno

Post by Daforno »

Details please, regarding the MD game in Texas.

How do I get to watch it? TV, streaming, kickoff time etc?
RedPillWonderland

There’s a reason both of these teams are among the top squads in the nation & elite contenders in their respective states. A lot of heat on these rosters:

This list doesn’t even include either of the Duncanville QBs still competing to start on Friday: Senior Corsicana (TX) HS transfer Solomon James and sophomore Jamier Willis-Wynn. Or safety Christian Petero, kicker Chase Meyer and RB/returner Ajon Bryant of Mater Dei. Among many other talented players who will impact this game that are not listed.