"The Game" this week

easycheesy

"The Game" this week

Post by easycheesy »

SJB vs. MD who do you guys pick and why?

SJB has played tougher teams but MD looks sooo good right now.
OldSunsetFan

Re: "The Game" this week

Post by OldSunsetFan »

Mater Dei, because then Jason will really have to pick a starting QB, and still after the game both teams will play each other (for going to State) in seven weeks.
RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland »

Last one to 100 CIF official penalty yards wins.

Based on the last few years, should probably set that at 200.
easycheesy

Post by easycheesy »

I don't even know if they'll meet again because I have a feeling Servite and Centennial really want to combo break this daisy chain of just MD and SJB every year
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Easy
So you are saying "Never the twain shall meet" ah "parting is such sweet sorrow"
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Most probably, MD wins out...but Servite...is in the mix, C10 maybe...I see nothing pending to change the current state of the SS. On a side note...Sierra Canyon has 16 coaches including head coach...no public school will match that...coaching matters.

So predictability will be with us for the foreseeable future...the chances it changes are NIL...
RedPillWonderland

RedPillWonderland

RedPillWonderland

MD/Bosco (or Bosco/MD) preview series:

I think Mater Dei has the advantage at QB in this game because: 1) Elijah Brown shredded the Bosco defense for 4 TD passes barely 5 months ago and barely broke a sweat doing it; 2) he’s never rattled by pressure, attacks blitzes and rarely takes sacks (Chris King loves to send zone and man pressures); and 3) there is no question who is leading MD’s offense.

I could be proven wrong, but I personally don’t see how Bosco can beat Mater Dei while making Pierce Clarkson and Katin Houser sit for up to 15 minutes of real time between actively leading the offense (2 defensive series, 1 offensive). No rhythm or timing or confidence can be developed that way against THIS defense. This is not Amat or Oscar Smith. Imagine if they have a few consecutive 3 and outs like they did in the spring? Or if they turn the ball over? That’s a LONG time to watch before you get another turn. Especially if Mater Dei is scoring on the other end.

Even Negro has basically admitted he’s going to have to stick with the hot hand. Especially if the game is tight. How will Houser/Clarkson react to that, from both sides of the coin? How will the team react? If things go south for one kid, how does that impact his confidence and the chemistry of the team? A nice little Jalen/Tua situation can turn into Montana v. Young real quick.

This isn’t the last game of the year like it was in the spring, where the potential for a QB controversy could be avoided - win or loss. There are 4 more important regular season games to play (including the Servite matchup), not to mention likely at least 3 more playoff games. Regardless of who wins Friday, this Bosco QB situation is going to be one of the most interesting storylines to follow coming out of this game going forward.
RedPillWonderland

Arguably the 2 best running back groups in the country (outside of IMG) with Speedy Luke, Jabari Bates and Mikey Hayes for Bosco and Raleek Brown, Quincy Craig (RB/WR), Ajon Bryant, and Jordan Davison for Mater Dei.

Raleek (19 carries for 279 yards (14.7 yards per carry) and 7 touchdowns) and Jabari (224 yards and 5 touchdowns to go with two catches for 31 yards) have been exceptional this season.

Rushing yardage is probably a key stat in this game, behind 1) explosive plays (20+ yards), 2) turnovers and 3) penalty yardage.

Have heard from more than a few MD fans who think it would be awesome if Ballys Sports color guy Greg Biggins doesn’t openly cheer for Bosco while broadcasting this time around. I like Greg, and although he’s obviously got a close relationship with Jason Negro, Terry Bullock and the Bosco staff, I think he tries to do a decent job of calling this one down the middle. But I have to admit, the bias became a little obvious in the April game after the 12th story about a Bosco coach, parent and/or tailgate party. And yes GB, I agree, these CIF refs can be horrific compared to other states (especially in this matchup), but even they couldn’t “let them play a little bit” when Riz Hala was shoving Mater Dei ball carriers into the Powerade jug 😂
easycheesy

Post by easycheesy »

Absolutely momentum plays a factor it's the reason why every NBA team always uses their timeout when the other team starts to tap into that flow state. Rotating two QBs will be a problem for Bosco.

By the way is that the number 7 kid from SJB? I always see him start fights with opposing teams and run his mouth. If he can't control his emotions hes gonna cost bosco
Kuppster

Post by Kuppster »

RedPillWonderland wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:31 pm Have heard from more than a few MD fans who think it would be awesome if Ballys Sports color guy Greg Biggins doesn’t openly cheer for Bosco while broadcasting this time around.
what can you say? We treat him well during the tailgate.
RedPillWonderland

Kuppster wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:53 am what can you say? We treat him well during the tailgate.
The Bosco tailgate is more like the EPCOT Center international food festival.
RedPillWonderland

RedPillWonderland wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:31 pm And yes GB, I agree, these CIF refs can be horrific compared to other states (especially in this matchup), but even they couldn’t “let them play a little bit” when Riz Hala was shoving Mater Dei ball carriers into the Powerade jug
easycheesy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:13 pm By the way is that the number 7 kid from SJB? I always see him start fights with opposing teams and run his mouth. If he can't control his emotions hes gonna cost bosco
Yup, the former Paramount High transfer at safety/LB. Hard hitting kid, makes a lot of tackles, but kind of lost his mind at times in the April game and it didn’t help the cause for SJB.

Even after the game, when a few of the MD kids decided to spray the Bosco coaches and players with water bottles during their celebration (in retaliation for Bosco doing the same thing to MD after the 2019 CIF title game), Hala ran up to some Monarch players, started barking, and did the NBA-style “hold me back bro” routine at midfield.

Will be a kid to keep a side eye on during this game. He’s a senior now; would hope he doesn’t end up with 1 or 2 personal fouls that cost his team in a key moment, like he did in the spring. I’m sure Negro is pulling him out of kinesiology class right now to sit down for a nice little chat …
RedPillWonderland

Big-time players usually shine in big games, and there are a lot of big time pass catchers on both sides of this one.

CJ Williams dominated Bosco’s secondary so thoroughly in April that he made them go shopping in the transfer portal. Seriously; they went out and acquired two 4-star DBs from Alemany who now start at CB and S, and demoted former starters Tay Beasley and Jaxon Harley (now the nickelback). They also moved Spring starting cornerback Jahlil McClain back to WR, and changed their entire defense to start 6 DBs (including 2 sophomores who barely played in the April game).

I’d expect to see Bosco give CJ the Kody Epps treatment in this one, meaning they will double and triple team him all game and force the ball elsewhere (the plan against Epps that worked in the 2019 title game). There’s no way Negro and Chris King are going to let #8 beat them one on one again.

Quincy Craig is a big game guy, and was the best player on the field in the April game; I expect him to impact this one and make some plays in all 3 phases. Cooper Barkate is the guy who really needs to make his presence felt when teams shift coverage to CJ, and Rollo has said he trusts that he will. Would also expect Jack Ressler or Kassius Ashtiani to get their opportunities, and will be interesting to see if they can make something happen with them.

For Bosco, Chedon James has arguably been Team MVP through 5 games, and I haven’t seen any team successfully cover him. Eric Johnson and Mater Dei typically don’t double cover anyone and trust their DBs against slot receivers in a lot of man to man situations. That normally works out well, allows for a lot of pressure on the QB and forces turnovers; it went horribly wrong against Bosco slot wideouts like Jake Bailey and Logan Loya in recent years. If James is matched up one on one in the slot this game, that is Advantage Bosco.

Speaking of winning against man coverage, Bosco’s only passing TD in the April game was a fade ball
to Matayo where Clarkson tossed it down the sideline and Matayo just reached over the top of Quincy Craig in a 1 v 1 matchup. Can’t imagine MD won’t shade a bit of safety help in the red zone (where Negro admitted Bosco struggled) to Matayo if they’ve watched ANY film at all from Spring and Fall.

As far as breakout wideouts for the Braves, Logan Booher has really been used as a one trick pony (deep ball/9 route guy only) by Eric Lo, so it’s moreso Jaceon Doss that may come from nowhere and surprise people this game - considering he has less than 5 catches this fall after playing well in the spring. Jahlil McClain/Lucas Reynoso/Zacharyus Williams are sort of afterthoughts and “other guys” for these two QBs, but could be heard from at some point if they get a favorable matchup or MD blows a coverage.

Bosco needs its WRs to win their matchups against the MD secondary consistently and produce big plays. Also wouldn’t hurt to have their speedy RBs break a couple screens/swing passes for bling gainers. Their last 2 wins against MD (2018 League game and 2019 CIFTG) featured dominant performances against the MD “Shark Gang” secondary. James/Booher/Matayo/Doss/McClain need to make some chunk plays and some tough catches in the red zone or Bosco is not going to win.
RedPillWonderland

easycheesy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:10 pm First time I've seen Frodo Sondy not take a jab at Mater Dei lol.

Sondy picks Mater Dei to win 24–21 on a late FG. Interesting. Feel like he had a strong Bosco take in the summer but can’t remember for sure …

[having quote issues tonight]
Last edited by RedPillWonderland on Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedPillWonderland

You could literally switch the school names and photo on this article and it’s exactly what was said last year. Motivation is a funny mistress
Kuppster

Post by Kuppster »

RedPillWonderland wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:08 am The Bosco tailgate is more like the EPCOT Center international food festival.
not exactly sure what this means but alrighty.
RedPillWonderland

Kuppster wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:55 pm not exactly sure what this means but alrighty.
Hit play.

9484DA86-316E-43D7-A24E-6B14898D2938.jpeg

IYKYK
Kuppster

Post by Kuppster »

I know what a Bosco tailgate is like. I've been part of it for about 5 years now. Couldn't participate this year

I had to google Epcot Center International Food Festival and now I get it.

Sounded like an insult at first.