Mater Dei/Servite - Oct 23, 2021

RedPillWonderland

Mater Dei/Servite - Oct 23, 2021

Post by RedPillWonderland »

The MD-Servite rivalry is so nasty and the game is so big this year that it’s even sparking beef between the media guys … 16 days before the game … over the start time and the TV coverage …

👀🍿😂

(Biggins is right here, Sondy is just whining because he’ll have a 50 mile drive back up to the Valley from Santa Ana at almost midnight on a Saturday, after posting his game story to the LAT website)
MDDad

Re: Mater Dei/Servite - Oct 23, 2021

Post by MDDad »

Biggins is partly right. When the Trinity League schedule was originally agreed on during the summer, the game was on Friday night at 7 PM, with the possibiity of moving it to 7:30 if it turned out to be televised. It was moved to Saturday night when the season started to accomodate both Bally and the city of Santa Ana. Then the start time was moved back an hour to 8 PM, again to accomodate Bally and the ESPN documentary crew.
RedPillWonderland

Sondy is being a crotchety old news reporter, pouting about deadlines and projecting his own issues, inconveniences, and frustrations onto HS kids - none of whom are complaining or will complain about a Saturday night primetime TV slot for maybe the biggest HS game of the year. Biggins is 100% right about that.
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

Tickets on sale for this game yet? Despite the TV coverage it may be time to attend this one in person.
Daforno

Post by Daforno »

Did I read this correctly? a Servite kid was wearing a "hoodie" under his jersey, with the hood sticking out?

"if" so is that considered part of the uniform and can he be dragged down from behind by it?
OldSunsetFan

Post by OldSunsetFan »

Tickets on sale for this game yet?

Yes,
I got two tickets for the Gofan website.

https://gofan.co/search
Sweetness34

Post by Sweetness34 »

About the hoodie, yes its apart of the uniform and can be used to tackle/take them down. I noticed alot of the Servite players wearing them and wondered about being taken down, but the games Ive seen I have yet to seen it happen. You'll know when that happens, you'll the player being sling shot/yanked suddenly. Its the same for the college and NFL guys with long hair/braids, Ive seen them being tackled by it. Ill say this, they do go down fast.
RedPillWonderland

😂 you guys are hilarious man. Every team in the Trinity League and a bunch of other local teams (and out of state teams I’ve seen - like ESL) has had players wear hoodies in games for years since it became a football fashion trend at the NFL level started by James Jones of the Packers (before it was outlawed). Pretty sure you can still do it at the college level because I’ve seen it this season with some teams.

Bryce Young wore hoodies in several games at Mater Dei, mostly his junior year and most famously in the state title win over De La Salle, to the point that the online video highlight guys made a highlight tape referring to him as “Hoodie Bryce.”

At least 6-8 Servite players have consistently worn sleeveless hoodies under their pads this season, led by Noah Fifita and TMac, and it seems like at least 10-12 Servite kids had them on last night. Niko Lopez and a couple kids from SM had sleeveless hoodies on too. Not one of them (nor Bryce in 2018) was tackled by the hood nor rodeo’d around by the neck.

I just noted it last night in the Servite game thread because I’ve never seen that many guys on one HS team wear hoodies under their pads. Even Brock Buerlein had one 😂 It’s like a team bonding thing for Servite now, apparently with a lot of the seniors. I shouldn’t even mention this but almost every player was wearing a GASP untucked long undershirt too! My God!
7BE3073D-AC49-4376-9799-C69901BBA885.jpeg
Much of this on field attire is filtering down from the styles see at the higher levels - where these kids want to be one day. Maybe the Friars will all come out in matching sleeveless hoodies for warmups at the MD game lol
Daforno

Post by Daforno »

Seems pretty dumb to me to give your opponent one more opportunity to pull you down especially if you are out in front of him.
I don't give a RAT'S a-- about style, just asked a simple question.
Let's see if it is so stylish when a TD is prevented by a pull down by "hoodie" from behind in a last grasp effort when that's all there was left to grab!
RedPillWonderland

I don’t give a rats ******* about your “simple question” or your unfounded, non-factual concerns about a “tackling opportunity.” If a kid gets tackled by 4-6 inches of exposed hoodie material, it’s either a horse collar and a penalty or they were going to get tackled anyway.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Getting tackled by hoodies -- the new voter fraud.
Daforno

Post by Daforno »

Why would that be a "horse collar " when the material extends beyond and is not part of the normal jersey or shoulder pads?
Isn't a horse collar when you reach inside the collar of the jersey or shoulder pads?
Anybody on this chat board who might be an official, who could give a reasonable explination of the rules pertaining to hoodies.
RedPillWonderland

joefutbol wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:02 pm Getting tackled by hoodies -- the new voter fraud.
AC5CE7A7-7766-47DE-A56C-532EBE6451A9.jpeg

“What’d ya do with that hoodie, take it and do something crazy with it??”
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Daforno wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:26 pm Why would that be a "horse collar " when the material extends beyond and is not part of the normal jersey or shoulder pads?
Isn't a horse collar when you reach inside the collar of the jersey or shoulder pads?
Anybody on this chat board who might be an official, who could give a reasonable explination of the rules pertaining to hoodies.
He's saying the exposed material is so insignificant that if it were grabbed it would almost certainly be a horse collar if the hoodie didn't exist. The rule has been in place for about 15 years... players don't go there anymore. It's a nonissue.
WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 »

while a part of me doubts it, but i'm hoping for a closer MD-Servite game this time, instead of it being a typical MD blowout over Servite, like how it been in almost every MD-Servite game during the Rollo era.
Daforno

Post by Daforno »

If "someone" doesn't give a Rat's a-- about a question, then why answer or address that question?

You sound a little confused to me, or conflicted, maybe you need to rest.

OR

You just have too much time on your hands.
TeezerXL

Post by TeezerXL »

MD freshmen team this year is elite and they always have elite freshmen squads. My question is where do they find space for these kids. It seems like every year there are 20-40 LEGIT freshmen but only 22 can start. Do they just wait to be rotated in senior year? Transfer? Ride the bench until they get a ring?
OldSunsetFan

Post by OldSunsetFan »

TeezerXL wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:37 am It seems like every year there are 20-40 LEGIT freshmen. Do they just wait to be rotated in senior year? Transfer? Ride the bench until they get a ring?
It seems like every year there are 20-40 LEGIT freshmen. Last year's (Class of 2024) freshman class had 16 legit Freshmen and this year's class (Class of 2025) has only ten legit Freshmen.

Do they just wait to be rotated in senior year? 80% of the legit will play and rotate as senior

Transfer? 20% will transfer

Ride the bench until they get a ring? Legit don't ride the bench........
pitcrew

Post by pitcrew »

OldSunsetFan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:21 pm Yes,
I got two tickets for the Gofan website.

https://gofan.co/search
I bought 8 tickets via GoFan but I was talking to someone at Servite last week who said that it is likely all the GoFan tickets will be refunded as they were not supposed to be released for sale.
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

OldSunsetFan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:25 am this year's class (Class of 2025) has only ten legit Freshmen.
This is a ridiculous statement. Just curious who these 10 'legit' Freshmen are and what the criteria is for being legit? There are 13 Freshmen listed on the roster that is published on the team website. So are 10 of 13 'legit'? If MD has 10 legit Freshman how many do other schools have? 4 or 5?