Are we a Christian nationalist country?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Are we a Christian nationalist country?

Post by John Q. Public »

Responses to a question in a broader survey about the insurrection by PRRI seems to say that an awful lot more people than I thought think that way. I can't help but be aware that the Republican Party has been hijacked by Christian theocrats but the survey says that 10% of Liberals also think that way. That scares me. It even scares this writer for the Religion News Service:
Asked whether “God intended America to be a new promised land where European Christians could create a society that could be an example to the rest of the world,” white evangelical Protestants were the only religious group with a majority (52%) who said they completely or mostly agree.

Hispanic Protestants were second (46%), followed by other nonwhite Protestants (38%), white Catholics (37%), Hispanic Catholics (35%) and white mainliners (34%).

Among those least likely to agree were Jewish Americans (27%), Black Protestants (26%), other non-Christians (15%) and the religiously unaffiliated (11%).

Jones noted the question echoes the Doctrine of Discovery, a theological principle outlined in a series of papal bulls that has been used for centuries to justify the subjugation of Indigenous peoples.

https://religionnews.com/2021/10/12/sur ... cy-theory/
america as promised land.jpg
Don't look at me, I just work here.
ShiftyMutt

Re: Are we a Christian nationalist country?

Post by ShiftyMutt »

The word “God” isn’t even in the constitution.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I think that since some people think that the first colonists came here for religious reasons everybody did. And that can't be further from the truth. The Pilgrims were extremist nutjobs who England was happy to get rid of, but after them most everybody came here for the opportunities - mostly to own land.

We were multi-cultural and multi-religious from the start and the Founders understood that and specifically left religion out of the founding documents. Chauvinistic Christians don't understand that, tough, and they think that the whole country should live according to their beliefs. Thankfully - at least so far - the majority of Americans think that's wrong.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

One of the Founding Fathers put it best.
Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the world.
--Thomas Jefferson
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.

quando omni flunkus, mortati
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Wow.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

More from Gab.

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave »

My country is broken. I'm serious. Absolutely positively serious. We're broken. Cons broke America.
BostonDave

Post by BostonDave »

Some rightwinger wants to know when can he start shooting. He means really. Literally, not figuratively.