Los Alamitos Football 2022

easycheesy

Los Alamitos Football 2022

Post by easycheesy »

I must say, I have to eat crow. Los Al looked really good against Bosco. I thought they were going to roll over against SJB as I've seen so many other Socal teams. When De La Salle came down South pre 2013 every Cali HSFB fan knew the presence they commanded and fear they instilled in the South (Centennial, Westlake, Servite, Crenshaw). That aura of fear, the timidity in their eyes when De La Salle came down. Much like Mike Tyson in his prime, the fighters had those eyes of fear and timid body language. SJB has that Prime Mike Tyson feel to them where they just instill fear into opposing teams. I saw none of it coming from Los Al against SJB. They outperformed Servite on offense and Servite is the #4 team in the state. They performed better against SJB than the bottom half Trinity League schools.

It was the front 7 that killed them. SJB is known for their size and strength. MD in 2016 found this out the hard way. If they stock up on those front 7 guys and pull in some key transfers they can call their own destiny. Los Alamitos in 2022 could be really, really dangerous. They're so young too.

Very impressed!
RedPillWonderland

Re: Los Alamitos Football 2022

Post by RedPillWonderland »

Los Al’s offense looked good. Their defense gave up 600 yards rushing, which anybody who has ever coached would tell you is hard to do against air.

You’re not going to see them able to bring in a couple of 300 lb defensive tackles from Carson and Bakersfield overnight like the team that beat them last night. The tough part for Coach Fenton is, if they have a similar season next year, they’ll be right back in this situation 12 months from now. They’re likely going to win most of their non league slate and sweep the Sunset again against CDM, HB, Newport Harbor and the Huntington Beach Edison Chargers.

I’d never advocate for a team not to compete to play against the best. But the best case scenario for them in November 2022 is probably to be where OLu, Alemany, Inglewood and Sierra Canyon are right now. Ironically, they’d probably have to go the route that Sierra Canyon did this season, essentially schedule themselves into Division 2, and make a run to take advantage of it.

Several teams have had success against Bosco’s defense this year, at least the ones with talent on offense that can take advantage of Bosco’s weaknesses (Mater Dei, ESL, Los Al, even OLu). Those who weren’t holding anything back like Servite obviously did a few weeks ago. Not a good look for the Braves defense going into this rematch with the Black on Black.

Tough task trying to beat a national top 10 high school team twice in a 4 week span. 😬 Especially when that team’s stars and coaching staff are more motivated to win this specific game than any the school has played in a decade (the last time they beat Bosco or Mater Dei), are playing together for maybe the last time, have been looking toward this moment all year (if not longer), and have the most talent on one roster in school history.
WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 »

hopefully Los Al can become a national powerhouse again someday or title contender just like they were in the 90s and early 2000s, overall, its just a dream and i hope it happens in my lifetime, based on the thread i started which got few replies, i hope it happens in my lifetime. As for Malachi Nelson, he is Los Al's best QB they have had in an entire generation, lifetime, Los Al used to have an awesome QB lineage.
NJtoNYCtoSOC

Post by NJtoNYCtoSOC »

RPW, to follow up on your point can you help me understand why CIF SS didn’t place the top four teams in an open division? That way teams 5-8 could have dropped down where they belonged and teams 1-4 could have been eligible for postseason bowl games…let the winner play De La Salle and runner up play Cathedral or whoever comes out of San Diego. You can even have the other two teams play Nevada or Arizona state champs. The way it stood now is that of 216 playoff teams, 4 teams were outclassed.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

NJtoNYCtoSOC wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:21 am The way it stood now is that of 216 playoff teams, 4 teams were outclassed.
That's true if you only concern yourself with Division 1, where those four teams lost by an average of 34 points. In the first round of the other divisions, Laguna Hills, Coachella Valley, Costa Mesa, Trinity Classical, Santa Rosa, Simi Valley, Orange, Xavier Prep, Thousand Oaks and Hueneme all lost by MORE than 34 points. Were they outclassed too, or do they not matter because they are in lower divisions?

The unfortunate truth is that it's impossible to design a playoff system in which every school can avoid being "outclassed", unless you have 186 divisions of two teams each.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

OR we could just give all schools a pretty ribbon for just participating throughout the year.
That way no one gets their feelings hurt.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

MDDad wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:12 am In the first round of the other divisions, Laguna Hills, Coachella Valley, Costa Mesa, Trinity Classical, Santa Rosa, Simi Valley, Orange, Xavier Prep, Thousand Oaks and Hueneme all lost by MORE than 34 points
Did the other divisions start their playoffs in the quarterfinals, or are you comparing a #4 vs #5 blowout to a #1 vs #16 blowout?

There isn't a perfect system, so you don't need to continue being deceitful on this one.
OCurbanlegend

Post by OCurbanlegend »

NJtoNYCtoSOC wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:21 am RPW, to follow up on your point can you help me understand why CIF SS didn’t place the top four teams in an open division? That way teams 5-8 could have dropped down where they belonged and teams 1-4 could have been eligible for postseason bowl games…let the winner play De La Salle and runner up play Cathedral or whoever comes out of San Diego. You can even have the other two teams play Nevada or Arizona state champs. The way it stood now is that of 216 playoff teams, 4 teams were outclassed.
this is a really good idea....
WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 »

Malachi Nelson, the current QB for Los Al, its awesome and epic to see a CA public school producing an elite QB, hopefully Los Al can become an elite QB producing factory again, and if Los Al is returning plenty of starters next year, i wouldn't mind seeing Los Al win their first CIF section title in 20 years, i believe the last time was 2002, in which they slaughtered MD at Angel Stadium.

Reminds me, that Los Al team had a huge waste of a talent, Randy Estes, he had all of the talent in the world, but didn't have the heart, right mindset.

That marked a decade long CIF title game appearance drought for MD.
RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland »

NJtoNYCtoSOC wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:21 am can you help me understand why CIF SS didn’t place the top four teams in an open division?
robw@cifss.org
Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man »

It's the depth of the front guys that is the big difference between the very good and the elite. Bosco's d line coach said that they had 20 defensive tackles. Whereas Los Al only has about 10 total lineman that play significant minutes.