NY Times feature article on Bosco/Mater Dei

frankieboy

NY Times feature article on Bosco/Mater Dei

Post by frankieboy »

Excellent feature in NYT on the Bosco/Mater Dei rivalry. Mods won't let me post a link-but it's worth searching out.

From what I read I think they got it right (unlike a lot of their news coverage these days)
RedPillWonderland

Re: NY Times feature article on Bosco/Mater Dei

Post by RedPillWonderland »

Cheesy posted the link in the playoff thread. This was interesting:

Kevin Pearson, the coach at Warren High School in Downey, two miles up the road, was asked if his team, which went unbeaten in the regular season with one of the top junior quarterbacks in the country, Nicholaus Iamaleava Jr., could compete with St. John Bosco or Mater Dei.

Pearson laughed. He said he’d had eight players transfer from St. John Bosco in the last two years. None had started at St. John Bosco, but seven started for him. “Does that give you a good idea of what would happen?” he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/14/spor ... bosco.html

The reporter had a deep roster of interviews from both MD and Bosco and other local sources. Shocked that Sondy didn’t get a call. A lot of information in the article is common knowledge for those of us who follow the local football scene or have coached locally. In fact a lot of it has been posted about here, in the last few months.

They interviewed this OC Buckeye player’s dad:

Was in the Trinity Lg thread last month as an example of the openness of local youth recruiting. Didn’t realize the freakin’ New York Times had already interviewed his dad to talk about his HS recruitment for the feature, while he was watching the MD/Bosco freshman game.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added the link
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

frankieboy wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:54 pm Mods won't let me post a link....
That's never been the rule. You should post a link if you explain the article or post a few (3 to 4 max) paragraphs from it - like I did with Pill's post. It's an internet rule, not just a board rule. You can't post just a link, though, because 1.) nobody's going to read it, and 2.) the almighty Google will see it as spam and ding the site for it.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Johnny Blaze

Post by Johnny Blaze »

I think this article really touched on where high level high school is currently at and where its headed. Cant put that Genie back in the bottle. With a million sports stations looking for content all these "elite" high school team games will eventually be televised. Adding more incentive for the rich to get richer. The smaller publics/privates will stay in their lane but everyone else is in an arms race to get the best talent they can. Some obviously have more advantage in that regard and ironically (or not) will be helped by this article.
frankieboy

Post by frankieboy »

The concentration of talent is not just happening in California-in Arizona (where you can pretty much go to any private/charter HS you want provided you can get there) Chandler and Hamilton HS (1 mile apart) are huge HS's (5000 kids) that have been at the top of 6A for a while now. Chandler is coached by Rick Garretson (played and coached at Servite). Utah similar-Lone Peak, Corner Canyon, etc winning everything. Chandler's best teams would have been right at home in the TL, even high TL (not this year thought-they lost to Hamilton for the first time in 9 years, snapping a 46 game win streak in the process).

The powers that be in Arizona want the same 2 teams in the final-they think they could get 40K at Sun Devil Stadium.

Chandler was supposed to play JSerra in the virus season-wouldn't be surprised if they schedule more TL teams in the future.