Servite, was it all worth it?

WillyCfromSHS

Servite, was it all worth it?

Post by WillyCfromSHS »

The Troy Thomas Project Part Duex's success comes down to tonight. In the 4th year of his return to Servite, tonight's game determines if it was all worth it. Meaning, was it worth picking Troy Thomas over Pete Bowman, Football players over Catholic kids, a history of never, ever accepting Junior/Senior transfers and ultimately changing the culture of Servite to mirror Mater Dei and Bosco, where winning is more important than Catholic formation. The jury is out, I guess we'll see. Please don't tell me "but they're 8th in the nation? " 8th in the nation for a moral victory over Mater Dei and wins over national powerhouses, Sierra Canyon and Helix. Don't get me wrong, Servite has some dudes and props to those kids earning a shot to play at the highest levels of NCAA D1 football...but in the end was it worth it?
pattywannamack

Re: Servite, was it all worth it?

Post by pattywannamack »

Going to a CIF Championship game against Mater Dei.

Yes...yes it was.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
JerryWest_44

Post by JerryWest_44 »

The Vet is such a horrible venue for a CIF finals
JerryWest_44

Post by JerryWest_44 »

Troy with his 100th win
WillyCfromSHS

Post by WillyCfromSHS »

Coming from the MD faithful who engineered this model, of course it's worth it. I'm a Catholic, a Servite alum, active with fundraising, etc. and just miss the old Catholic model. Catholic kids filtered in from the local parish schools, Freshman formation, kids going to the school for their religion, not football. Loyola went through this and decided to pull back and stick with the old Servite model. Anyway, it is what it is.
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

WillyCfromSHS wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:22 pm Coming from the MD faithful who engineered this model, of course it's worth it. I'm a Catholic, a Servite alum, active with fundraising, etc. and just miss the old Catholic model. Catholic kids filtered in from the local parish schools, Freshman formation, kids going to the school for their religion, not football. Loyola went through this and decided to pull back and stick with the old Servite model. Anyway, it is what it is.
I am not so sure. I honestly don't feel like Mater Dei as a whole feels much different. From what I can tell the school feels just as committed to its Catholic values as it did when I attended. I'm sure Servite as a whole does too. The football program doesn't reflect the school as a whole.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

WillyCfromSHS is to Servite as Domingo is to Mater Dei. :lol:
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

IT WAS OBVIOUSLY WORTH IT!
Thomas has brought Servite back!
He is doing it with his son and is making history in a first ever CIF FINALS showdown vs MD.
BACK IN BLACK BABY!
JUST WIN BABY!
THE ASYLUM!
Hes got the wheels turning, and might just knock off the number 1 team in the nation.
MD has been winning for so many years, and has crushed everyone theyve played.
The top elite athletes, at every position, 3-4 deep.
Rolo, the storied old dog who has been to a million of these dances. Im sure he has some tendencies?
Against Centennial, he leaned on defense and his run game. 20-16
This D-1 FINALS could possibly have one of the largest turnouts in high school history??
Is the Home Depot available? It would be awesome if they played at SOFI STADIUM.
LETS GET IT ON!!! :yikes:
Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik »

Patty: “The football program doesn’t reflect the school as a whole”

Sorry, but that statement is riddled with inherent contradiction.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

JerryWest_44 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:05 pm The Vet is such a horrible venue for a CIF finals
Yes, have to agree, all fans on one side of the field, parking, opposite fans sitting
close together is a recipe for confrontation. The CIFSS could have done a way better
job of picking a nicer venue. As a previous vendor stated, is home depot available
or something similar? You could probably get 20,000 fans or so for this one.

On a side note, surprised Servite was able to control SJB as they did last night
especially on the SJB home field. The visiting team most everything being equal
gives up on average three points or so, having to play on the opponents field.

It was an interesting game plan Servite had, all in all, it obviously worked.
This is the year for Servite do it. I don't see it happening next year for them.
(barring transfers of course)
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

It will be interesting to see the game with some competent officials.
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

Al Koholik wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:47 am Patty: “The football program doesn’t reflect the school as a whole”

Sorry, but that statement is riddled with inherent contradiction.
Real talk, I don't follow the high school scene as closely as I used to. So I am likely not in the know and am just curious how you find it be riddled with contradiction.
WillyCfromSHS

Post by WillyCfromSHS »

On a side note...Houston Thomas. My sons know him and said he is a nice, humble and hardworking kid. It's always tough being the coaches kid but he handles it with class and humility. What a game he had last night, so clutch and that 71 yard TD run, simply amazing. Blessings to that young man. Credo.
credofriar

Post by credofriar »

If we can somehow win this one.....oh man

Servite is back...this year. This is a really special group that was national championd in youth football.

We loose everybody this year and our lower levels were not very good.

But if we can somehow win this one!!!
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

This has been a ALL IN situation for Servite. Take no prisoners , get it done!
This team was picked back in the youth sports, some 5 years ago. a process.
H. Thomas is a beast! Been hitting the weights with pops for years, no days off, and now its paying off!
Kid showed some speed too with a 71 yard run to the house vs a fast Bosco team.
Troy should be up for coach of the year awards and is probably game planning for the biggest game of his families life. A MD vs Servite final.
Kids get those bodies iced up, rejuvenated and be ready to bang some heads one last time. :rockon:
ventura

Post by ventura »

Not sure what the title of this thread means, but I'm not an OC guy. Maybe missing something.

Been a fan of Thomas since I watched him play in the 80's. He and Crespi coach Tim Lins were good friends, and Lins encouraged him to take the reigns for his first HC job at his alma mater.

Recorded the Bosco/Servite game and couldn't believe how his son shined with all those D1 guys around. Man that was cool and frankly I would NEVER have predicted it. Plus, Houston just hands the ball to the ref after the play; none of the BS show boating.

Coach Thomas definitely isn't perfect, but IMO Servite is fortunate to have him. Two times now he's come and developed a struggling program into a competitive program. Interesting guy.

I think most of the guys who star for Bosco and MD wouldn't work in the Thomas scheme. Troy appears to me to thrive on the David and Goliath theme, and gets regular looking guys (sometimes not regular looking guys, like his son), to take it to opposition that the eye test says would dominate. My favorite Crespi games back in the day came with Thomas either coaching the defense, or manning the helm.

Joefutbol seems to me to want to prep for disappointment with his predictions of Servite losses, but I'm not sure about this one. MD is far superior (I think) in the raw talent and depth categories, but the Friars seem to me to be a better team. Cool stuff that someone is challenging Bosco and MD. Even if it's only two teams, Servite and CC.
easycheesy

Post by easycheesy »

What's wrong with Troy Thomas? Can someone tell me why so many people dislike him. I just see people saying he's an ass without anyone giving an explanation. Thank you.
credofriar

Post by credofriar »

#1 Social awkward
#2 Plays favorites

He is a great weight room coach as has improved as a head coach

But honestly it’s his social awkwardness
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

easycheesy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:18 pm What's wrong with Troy Thomas? Can someone tell me why so many people dislike him. I just see people saying he's an ass without anyone giving an explanation. Thank you.
I would need some Servite guys to confirm this but I recall hearing that Thomas use to not let his guys miss a weekend practice to take a recruiting visit. Not sure whether this is true. If it is then you could say he is not a ‘players’ coach’.

Also this coming from a MD person so take it with a grain of salt…. Thomas has just always seemed a bit smug and condescending to me. Just sort of has always rubbed me the wrong way.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

Socially awkward? Maybe he just isnt into fake people or BS?
Plays favorites- ? Hes the coach, he plays the best.
Why wouldnt this game be at a bigger venue, with all the private school money?
Cerritos college, Cal St. Fullerton, STUB HUB?, ANAHEIM STADIUM? SO FI?
Instead it at a one sided stands, vet stadium?