Free Range Bacon and other new laws

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Free Range Bacon and other new laws

Post by John Q. Public »

Those krazy California voters approved a ballot measure requiring pigs to have more space, and since most of our puerco comes from the Midwest, the entire industry is in a tizzy. But it's looking like enforcement might be put off until 2024 because of lawsuits and likely price increases.
  • A statewide $15 minimum wage, $14 for the first year for companies employing fewer than 25 workers. And increases will finally be tied to inflation so we won't have to go through this nonsense every 10 or 15 years anymore.
  • Garment workers will now be paid by the hour rather than by the piece. No change for farmworkers, I guess, who are still paid by volume and weight.
  • Housing density - One law will let local governments rezone neighborhoods near mass transit lines to allow more density. The second one will require cities to allow up to 4 units on what's currently a single-family lot. Yeah, we need more housing and I'm not really a NIMBY but that sounds kind of crazy in many neighborhoods.
  • No more quotas for warehouse workers. Amazon workers will finally get to pee.
  • Employment settlements based on cases of discrimination can no longer be kept secret.
  • Transferring from JC's to 4-year colleges will be streamlined. Apparently it got more complicated since I did it back in the last century. JC classes will also have to be numbered in the same way that 4-year schools do it. I guess the translation of History 1 to History 101 is too complicated. (See "The dumbing down of higher education," written about somewhere else.)
  • No more plastic straws in to-go orders, and individually wrapped condiments only if you ask for them. Same for plastic silverware, thank God. Foreign Babe never throws them out so we have a drawer full of them.
  • Separating edible from non-edible garbage. Geesh! That one sounds complicated. I guess I'll wait for the "life hack" to figure out how to do it. And no, it's not because Big Compost bought a bunch of legislators. It's because decomposing garbage gives off methane and if they do it separately they can capture it and maybe even use it if they can do it on a big enough scale.
  • Also, grocery stores will be required to donate food that's out of code but still edible. Not sure of the legality on that as there have been lawsuits about stores "trying to poison poor people," which made many of them stop doing it. Fun Fact - date codes, except on meat, dairy, bread and baby formula are all arbitrary, voluntary, and pretty much meaningless.
  • Gender Neutral Store Displays. No idea how that's supposed to work or if anything will change. I guess they could take the signs down for the boys and girls clothes but I don't know how they could do anything differently as far as merchandising goes.
  • Restrictions on police - limits on how rubber bullets are used, a measure to make it easier to decertify problem cops, "techniques or transport methods that involve a substantial risk of positional asphyxia" will be barred, officers will now have a responsibility to intervene or report uses of excessive force, more records of misconduct will be made public and the minimum age to be a cop will go from 18 to 21.
  • And, mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent drug offenses will be dropped, accomplices in crimes where somebody dies won't be charged with murder, judges will now make the decision on whether people who violate their parole go to jail or not and they'll also have more leeway on applying sentencing enhancements in some circumstances.

Boy that's a lot of laws.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Free Range Bacon and other new laws

Post by John Q. Public »

Okay, here's a weird one. It's good and it's a step in the right direction, but it's weird that it's singled out.

Schools in Illinois will be required to teach a unit of Asian-American history. It gives a shout out to Japanese-Americans but I can't help but notice that it doesn't define "Asia." It's a big place.

"Amends the Courses of Study Article of the School Code. Requires every public elementary school and high school to include in its curriculum a unit of instruction studying the events of Asian American history; contains provisions governing this instruction. Provides that the teaching of history of the United States shall include the study of the wrongful incarceration of Japanese Americans during World War II and the heroic service of the 100th Infantry Battalion and the 442nd Regimental Combat Team of the United States Army during World War II."

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billst ... sionID=110
Don't look at me, I just work here.